Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectEven if that's true... shouldn't it be waaaaay closer?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13273496&mesg_id=13273787
13273787, Even if that's true... shouldn't it be waaaaay closer?
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jul-12-18 12:18 PM
People always argue "Bezos deserves a higher salary than the guy delivering Amazon packages." But I never hear people break down why Bezos needs *that much higher* a salary.

Right now, Bezos makes 275 million a day, while COUNTLESS employees of his, the people who do the labor to put the money in Bezos's pocket, struggle to make ends meet.

There are roughly 566,000 Amazon employees. If Bezos said, "I'm content earning 100 million a day and redistributing the extra equally," then everyone Amazon employee would make nearly 9500 dollars a month more in pre-tax revenue. The median Amazon employees earns 28,446 dollars per year-- so if Bezos did this, then, after taxes (and assuming that $28.5 thousand is after tax, which is almost certainly is not), even his *median* earning employees would see their salaries more than double. Most employees would be earning more like 2.5-3 times their current salary.

AND THAT'S ASSUMING BEZOS NEEDS TO MAKE ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS A DAY, lol.

I personally don't have a problem with the theory that the CEO should earn more than an employee. But it should be WAAAAAY closer to "CEOs earn the same money as the labor force workers" than to "CEOS should earn billions while labor force workers can't earn a livable wage." Way way way way WAY closer. The current system is not only immoral, but it's unsustainable. The equal salaries across the board route is light years closer to what we need than the current one.