Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectWhat's your movie theater enthusiasm tolerance like?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13272926&mesg_id=13272926
13272926, What's your movie theater enthusiasm tolerance like?
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon Jul-09-18 06:46 PM
In other words, how tolerant are you of the enthusiasm shown by others?

I'm generally tolerant, particularly on opening weekend. But sometimes, people are way too over the top.

Some people clap loud, laugh really loud, and/or narrate the movie.

And for the most part, have at it. I'd say I have a decent tolerance.

Then, there are guys like the guy in The Incredibles. He doesn't just laugh. Everything is HAHAHAHAHAH HA HAHAHAHA BWYAHAHA HA OMG WOW HHAAHA WOW OMG IM CRYIN!!!! BWUWUWUWUUWAUAUAHAAHAH!!!

DUDE NO WAY!
HAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That's grating even when he's laughing along with the crowd. However, this does not change for amusing moments where the audience merely chuckles.

Moments of minor amusement elicit the same, gregarious-to-the-point of-caricature laughter. HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA BWUAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!

THAT'S CRAZY!
YOU GO!!!
GO JACK JACK!!!

And, after watching roughly 2/3 of the movie, when this guy says "HAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAH HAHAHAHA HAHAHAH OMG THAT'S SOOOOOOOOOOOOO AWESOME!!!!!", and I say, rather loudly, "it would be a lot more awesome if you'd shut the fuck up", I've lost, because now the mrs is pissed, and as has been covered, it's not like that's in the best place. But that's neither here nor there.

She's not really bothered by much, it seems. A lot just rolls off her back. She's non confrontational, to the point that, the four seats we paid for had shrunk to three by the time I arrived with an armful of snacks because she "didn't want to be rude" to the people trying to take our seats while I was getting snacks, and gave me hard time for staring down the prick who took our fourth seat.

But I digress; the point is, she's not the best gauge for whether or not it's reasonable to grow so irritated with such an over the top

In the interest of self reflection.. what say you? Where do you fall in situations like this? Just how over the top does someone have to get in the movies before you start having Scrubs moments, imagining yourself holding someone's head down in a vat of popcorn butter until the bubbles stop coming up, just to release the tension?