Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectId go to Pitchfork imho
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13268295&mesg_id=13268300
13268300, Id go to Pitchfork imho
Posted by BigReg, Wed Jun-20-18 04:46 PM

Honestly I still go to Afropunk every year if I am around just because I love the idea of all these young black creative kids trying to show out in ways they aren’t allowed to in America together. It’s worth the weight in cash I spend just to see and be around that energy.

That said, I haven’t been impressed with the lineup since they pulled Grace Jones a couple of years back (and it was in a decline). And the utter indifference to mid to emerging talent acts is disgusting (the actual rock bands were in a stage OUTSIDE OF THE FESTIVAL, lol. It took a good eight minute walk!).

And since Black is in even in the age of Tru,p, other festivals have stepped up their game. Pitchfork pulling Chaka, and as far as actual music acts were concerned the FYF fest in Los Angeles actually out blacked Afropunk as far as quality performers is concerned (too bad this years got cancelled). I mean look at this shit they pulled off last year.

Missy Ellion
A Tribe Called Quest
Solange
Frank Ocean
Run the Jewels
Flying Lotus
Kehlani
Little Dragon
Anderson Paak
Sean Kuti
Moses Sumney

So I don’t mind spending the cash for Afropunk for the experience but they need to step their game up as far as lineup is concerned