Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectGoing to AfroPunk/Essence Music Fest, etc. ?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13268295&mesg_id=13268295
13268295, Going to AfroPunk/Essence Music Fest, etc. ?
Posted by BlakStaar, Wed Jun-20-18 04:21 PM
Y’all hitting up any music festivals this summer?

Why/why not?

Got any tips?

Me? I planned on going to AfroPunk until I visited the website this afternoon and learned tickets are sold out.

WELP.

Mind you, I JUST put in a vacation request for late August and got approved today. SMH.

I could turn this into a conversation about how much AfroPunk has changed over the years but I will resist the urge. I’ma just say shit used to be free and did not require a ticket but I digress...

I wanted to see Erykah, Daniel Caesar and Miguel. I enjoy other artists in the lineup but I wanted to experience those artists live. I’m realizing every artist I like is not worth seeing live. Oh, well. The 2014 lineup was better: D’Angelo, Shabazz Palaces, Fishbone, Alice Smith, Me’Shell Ndegeocello (Be quiet, mistermaxxx08), Ms. Lianne “All Lives Matter” Havas...

Essence Music Fest is ‘spensive. And it’s too late to buy a plane ticket to NOLA cuz it’s about two weeks away. It’s funny: all of the artists I want to see at AfroPunk (and more) are performing in NOLA.

All this to say, maybe this is the universe’s way of telling to drive my ass to Chicago (from Detroit) and go to Pitchfork. Chaka, Kelela and Raphael are performing. And I can stay with one of my cousins for free.

Then again, I prefer predominantly Black crowds/festivals so I dunno. Plus, I don’t want to pay $75 a day for just a few artists.