Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subject"What are your salary requirements?" "Oh, that's reasonable" : (
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13266508
13266508, "What are your salary requirements?" "Oh, that's reasonable" : (
Posted by tully_blanchard, Thu Jun-14-18 11:59 AM
Is that the universal response meaning you low-balled yourself?

Or, that what you're asking is what they normally pay/was gonna offer you anyway.

Just had an interview and when I told them my salary expectations, she responded "Oh, that's reasonable", I felt like I played myself...

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

http://soundcloud.com/rayandersonjr
13266509, as opposed to silence?
Posted by adg87, Thu Jun-14-18 12:02 PM
Like "WTF is this nigga smokin? Betta get east with that nonsence.". I'd rather have "that's reasonable". LOL.
13266513, LOL..i guess silence and a slow blink would be worse, huh??
Posted by tully_blanchard, Thu Jun-14-18 12:09 PM

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

13266518, had a guy quote an hourly rate.. then say its salary
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jun-14-18 12:16 PM
THEN SAY ITS GOING TO BE SOME LOOOONG HOURS

he asked me to call him in a few days

I won't be making that call
13266511, Better than "we're only budgeted to go up to x"
Posted by Mack, Thu Jun-14-18 12:04 PM
13266515, Uh no it's not. Getting them to say a number first is a win.
Posted by Triptych, Thu Jun-14-18 12:11 PM
13266514, means you’re in range...
Posted by Trinity444, Thu Jun-14-18 12:10 PM
did you low ball yourself?
13266519, Knowing the company, I don't think so
Posted by tully_blanchard, Thu Jun-14-18 12:17 PM
It's an internal position, so I know how the salaries go around here, so I feel like my response was inline.

Just that one lil part of me has me like...could I have asked for just a lil bit more...maybe??

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

13266528, gotcha...
Posted by Trinity444, Thu Jun-14-18 12:37 PM
makes sense for internal.
good luck :-)
13266516, That's always the concern in any negotiation
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Thu Jun-14-18 12:12 PM
The "why are they willing to accept this offer" feeling.

Just know what you want to pay (or what you think you're worth). The other party will do the same. An agreement will be made if there is overlap between the two.

No need to second guess or think you left something on the table as long as you are a comfortable with what you thing you are worth
13266517, i hate that question
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jun-14-18 12:15 PM
some folks say you should flip it and answer without saying a number

13266520, consider it a good thing if you were honest and realistic about your reqs
Posted by GROOVEPHI, Thu Jun-14-18 12:20 PM
i used to be afraid of that question, but now i welcome it. Don't waste my time going through the motions and then telling me you wont be able to meet my salary requirements. I have number, but i tend to give a range
13266521, salary or hourly? which do you prefer?
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jun-14-18 12:21 PM
my first gig was salary I bounced one holiday weekend (memorial or labor day). when we had a project due. Car got towed so I called to leave a message to tell them I would be a day late due to the Philly fuckery.

someone answered the phone on Memorial day on some "yeah, we are working"

I didn't last at that place. First salary gig and wasn't used to working late or on weekends.

13266535, I've never had an hourly job professionally.
Posted by tariqhu, Thu Jun-14-18 12:58 PM
except that one time contract job. otherwise, I don't think I could it.

I like the idea that my check will be the same if I work a full work or take that week off. don't like my money fluctuating.

maybe I've also been lucky that my jobs didn't require much time, if any, after hours. I work 40 hours a week with my current. not more. company culture drives this more than whether its salary or not.

I get off at 5. my boss at the time called me at 4ish for something, but led with 'aren't you gonna be leaving soon'. Yes!

13266522, Yes. Yes it is.
Posted by soulpsychodelicyde, Thu Jun-14-18 12:23 PM
13266523, yes...you lowballed yourself
Posted by ambient1, Thu Jun-14-18 12:23 PM
13266525, counter-offer when they offer you the job
Posted by GROOVEPHI, Thu Jun-14-18 12:25 PM
13266540, Is this how to do it? Seriously, just had this convo about what to
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Jun-14-18 01:08 PM
do when you asked that question and feeling like you low balled.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13266568, if you feel like you are worth/deserve more, counter-offer
Posted by GROOVEPHI, Thu Jun-14-18 01:53 PM
ive done this with the last 5 job offers, some I've accepted and some I've actually turned down. But I've always been successful in counter-offering.

the employer isn't going to turn you down or have a bad image of you when you counter-offer.

the only time I was unsuccessful was with a recent offer from the fed govt where they weren't able to meet my requirements bc the position was a term position (2 years).

13266601, I burned my old gig
Posted by ambient1, Thu Jun-14-18 03:54 PM
realized I was making the lowest on the team...despite being a top 3 member
started job-hunting
got an offer.... for $20k more than what I was making....
put my 2 weeks notice in....

my gig literally stopped all the presses and SCRAMBLED talkin about AINT NO WAY we can let him walk...
I felt like Bron in free agency for a sec....

they came back and offered me a raise, matching what the gig offered me...

I didn't go wit the new gig ...got my raise....and was Gucci....for abt 2 months

till they did something that made me mad(I was looking for a reason...ANY reason...lol)

then I got hit up wit the gig i'm at now....they came out the gate offering what my raise was

resent my lil 2 weeks notice email on some admittedly snake shit

my boss didn't look my direction, say one word and I ain't heard from that man since
13266691, man, i'm one of the lowest paid on my team as well
Posted by GROOVEPHI, Fri Jun-15-18 09:11 AM
and I just learned earlier this year that the reason why i haven't been getting substantial salary increases is because I'm outside of the range for my position.

So, it was a good look from the dude that hired me. I started making more than my category. But shit, I've been in the same range for 5 years.

I'm currently trying to get bumped up to the next job category. i need more cheese.

I feel you. i know a few folks that used other job offers as leverage in their current position. I had a homeboy that wanted to do that and I advised him against it. Bc I've seen some employers call your bluff; they'll be like 'best of luck'... Or they might try to match your offer for a while til they find a replacement.
13266569, in fact, i've had 3 people come to me for this sort of advice
Posted by GROOVEPHI, Thu Jun-14-18 01:54 PM
all three were able to get more money (or other things) from their employers after counter-offering.

13266526, Poor response on their part
Posted by MEAT, Thu Jun-14-18 12:29 PM
Whether it’s too high or too low a better response is:
“Ok, we’ll run that through finance and see if we can work that out”
13266533, curious, where are you in the interviewing process?
Posted by double negative, Thu Jun-14-18 12:50 PM
was this during phone screening or a first round or a final round?
13266536, First/final.
Posted by tully_blanchard, Thu Jun-14-18 12:58 PM
It's a leadership role in another part of the company I currently work for. There wont be any more interviews, just the one I had this morning.

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

13266538, few things...
Posted by double negative, Thu Jun-14-18 01:02 PM
-if you get this role would you feel resentful that you might have left money on the table?

-how does your salary ask compare to the same role in other companies? is it on par, below or above?

-does this fit into your five year plan?

-do you have a few items in place to prevent you from getting caught in the trap of hedonic adaptation?
13266547, RE: few things...
Posted by tully_blanchard, Thu Jun-14-18 01:18 PM
>-if you get this role would you feel resentful that you might
>have left money on the table?

-Of course! Who wouldnt!

>
>-how does your salary ask compare to the same role in other
>companies? is it on par, below or above?

-It's on par, actually. Everything I've researched for this position is right on par with this. And that's part of why I don't feel TOO bad about my ask.

>
>-does this fit into your five year plan?

-This is all a part of the 5 year plan. It fits perfectly

>
>-do you have a few items in place to prevent you from getting
>caught in the trap of hedonic adaptation?

-I absolutely do.

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

13266558, well shit, get that paper and move on up!
Posted by double negative, Thu Jun-14-18 01:34 PM
13266549, this is why i like nonprofits. their top salaries are public info
Posted by Damali, Thu Jun-14-18 01:23 PM
that way you can gauge what they will likely be able to afford to pay you ahead of time

d
13266551, if the range is say.. 50K to 60K. Is it crazy to say 65K?
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jun-14-18 01:28 PM
even though you know what the range is?

13266561, nope.
Posted by double negative, Thu Jun-14-18 01:36 PM
for the job i have now

i blindly asked for 15% more as a "fuck you, pay me" "i ain't really sure I want this job" hail mary ball toss.

the recruiter said "uh...you sure?"

I said "I SAID DO THAT SHIT"

next thing you know I'm signing papers.

13266570, haha...I'm trying to change my approach
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jun-14-18 02:05 PM
I have a meeting tomorrow morning with a chance to fatten my pockets and put me in a position to make the type of money I know I'm worth.

13266581, okp snark and bullshit aside...
Posted by double negative, Thu Jun-14-18 02:40 PM
1. congrats

2. are you still in GD or have you transitioned to interactive?
13266589, thx, I'm transitioning.
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jun-14-18 03:08 PM
This gig is 60% web and 40% print.

I'm still trying to find that UX/UI gig but since I don't have much experience professionally its been tough.

I'm trying to get this for the title so I can land my dream job
13266552, Reasonable means affordable....As an HR professional...sometimes
Posted by auragin_boi, Thu Jun-14-18 01:29 PM
I think people overthink this stuff.

We have a range. If you fall above that range you're typically out unless we REALLY need you, then we'll pay above range. But ultimately, we don't offer below preference as it increases the chance for buyers remorse.

If you fall below that range, a good HR department will pay you bottom of the range (which would still be a raise on your expectations). This keeps the role competitive and makes the numbers look reasonable when comp evaluations happen/go to market. This prevents having to give you too much of a raise when we see your salary is below market since you're now more valuable to the company with more experience which might open up more risk to lose you to a competitive offer.

Also, giving someone more than they ask for is endearing (or should be) and helps with retention.

A more murky HR department will give you what you ask for (though it's below market) and point at it to upper management for brownie points. But that's counterproductive IMO because long term it could cause problems that out price the initial savings on salary (morale, turnover, competition). Granted 'what they don't know won't hurt 'em' but we are in the info age. People can find out what's competitive and headhunters flirt all the time.

All this to say...ask for what you want and if a company balks at it, move along to one that will give you what you want. No need to waste time wondering if you could have gotten more either. Get what you want and if you want more later, prove your worth and make a strong case for it or move on for an opportunity that provides it.
13266578, Right, all that matters is if you are happy with the number
Posted by Cocobrotha2, Thu Jun-14-18 02:29 PM
I accepted a position once for a salary I wasn't happy with (company wouldn't come up 2.5k to meet my requirements) and I bounced to another company for 20% more a couple days before I was supposed to start at the first company (don't do this at home, folks!).

I probably would've felt some sort of misplaced loyalty if they'd given me what I wanted even though I clearly undervalued myself (well.. at least for 6 months... then I probably woulda bounced anyway).
13266602, had this recently where in the app i put a range
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Thu Jun-14-18 03:55 PM
They came back at the end of a great interview and say that was too high.

I gave them a lower # that was about 10k less than the bottom end of my original range but said Id have to have a convo with family about it.

I think I maybe lowballed myself by 5-7k, but it wasnt a huge gap so we'll see.

The problem is theyre also one of these new companies that "dont negotiate."

They supposedly do market research for the position and offer a fair amount