Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectWhat is the greatest risk/largest sacrifice you've taken/made...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13266051
13266051, What is the greatest risk/largest sacrifice you've taken/made...
Posted by PG, Wed Jun-13-18 10:38 AM
for your own happiness?

and what do you know about living and how to do it?

or maybe just tell me what kind of mood your in... whatever you do engage me.

my mood is shight and I'm already planning to go for beerS in 7.5hrs when this workaday crap is done.
13266060, I moved to DC in part for a woman that I was closer to in my head than
Posted by MEAT, Wed Jun-13-18 10:45 AM
I actually was. Or maybe I was and then we weren’t. In the end, that part doesn’t matter as nothing became of that situation. Like. Nothing. Maybe a date or two.
But from where we had been to where things ended up ... world of difference.

But I took that chance, I made that proximity a point when I was looking at relocating and when it didn’t work out the way that I hoped I was devestated.

I was able to move on though, knowing that there was nothing I could do going forward. That my best shot didn’t work and I’d have to learn to live with that.

And I did, and I’m better for it. Years later I still on occasions feel pangs of sadness, but sadness of acceptance, not regret. And that’s a sadness of the human existence.
13266081, You moved for a chick that wasn't even feeling you
Posted by Crisco, Wed Jun-13-18 11:29 AM
What were you thinking?
Couldn't ended to bad for you considering DC is full of single women.

did you at least find a new girl?
13266093, I’m approaching my third year of marriage & we have a 7 month old
Posted by MEAT, Wed Jun-13-18 11:46 AM
I also now have a career and six years of work experience. Things worked out fine for me.

And it’s not as if I completely fabricated a relationship. We had been in and out of a thing for nearly eight/nine years. One of the things was distance. When I was in San Antonio she was at school in Austin. When I was in Houston she was in San Antonio. When she was in DC I was back in San Antonio. We’d talked about being in the same spot, we’d talked about a lot of things, hell I stayed with her when I interviewed up here.

I guess things changed when it became real. *shrugs*
13266077, moved to Brooklyn with no job
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Jun-13-18 11:17 AM
right before the 2008 collapse too

I had a full time gig telecommuting but the wife had nothing...

we walked away from 2 full time gigs with benefits... but it was in rural Kentucky. After 3 years we had to get gone.

Probably should've secured a full time gig or maybe picked another city that was less forgiving when it came to rent.

13266082, You and your wife thought this was a good idea?
Posted by Crisco, Wed Jun-13-18 11:30 AM
Brooklyn from Kentucky
The standard of living is like night and day.
Are you back in Kentucky?
13266086, no Charlotte.. we moved to Kentucky from Philly
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Jun-13-18 11:35 AM
and we saved up a ton of cash..

wasn't like we had 5K and a dream. We had 30K and a plan.

but we didn't plan on the marking crashing in 2008. Who plans for that?

we were much younger and had no kids. We took a chance.

13266090, Yeah, we packed up and moved to Ft. Myers, FL in 2005
Posted by Marbles, Wed Jun-13-18 11:42 AM

It was way too slow there so we moved up to Tampa in 2007. Same as you, we got here right when the recession hit. And to top it all off, I was working for one of the big banks at the time.

But 13 years later, we're still here and on a come up.
13266095, if we didn't move to BK we probably would've bought a house
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Jun-13-18 11:51 AM
not in rural KY but probably in a smaller city and we may have got screwed by the market collapse.

We ended up in Charlotte and we were able to buy a house 3 years after moving here.

We had no idea Charlotte real estate was about to blow up.

Everything happens for a reason.
13266079, I stopped being a lawyer
Posted by afrogirl_lost, Wed Jun-13-18 11:23 AM
I was working really long hours on cases that weren't important to me. I quit and went back to school and became a professor instead. It wasn't easy and I took a major cut in pay and lifestyle, but I'm much happier and I'm doing important work.
13266092, Regrettably...
Posted by FLUIDJ, Wed Jun-13-18 11:45 AM
I've led a pretty calculated & planned out life.
I'm risk averse :(

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
13266097, not to dig but didn't you renovate your house while owning a rental?
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Jun-13-18 11:52 AM
I think it was you

that's risky as hell IMO.

13266098, Yep...that was me...hmmm...guess I was thinking more along the lines
Posted by FLUIDJ, Wed Jun-13-18 11:55 AM
of life changing type stuff?

>I think it was you
>
>that's risky as hell IMO.

It was...but it was planned out and calculated to a degree as well. Like...we knew if shit hit the fan...we could just dead the whole ordeal.
But I guess I should reassess some of the things that I thought were calculated and I just ignored the risks?

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
13266146, man, I think renovating is risky as hell
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Jun-13-18 12:29 PM
maybe it's the HGTV shows but always seems like some unknown expense comes up

13266099, I’m in a mood when I don’t feel like talking...
Posted by Trinity444, Wed Jun-13-18 11:55 AM
doing a whole lot of thinking. I’ve closed myself off to everyone.
/

A good thing tho. i ran into an old friend from back home while picking up a package from the office of the apartment complex I live in. She lives in the building next to mines. Her and I went to high school together, she taught me how to sew and was the first teenage mother I saw breastfeed. I’m going to invite her over for wine as soo as I’m out of this funk lol

13266136, add loud music and a strong desire for stiff drink and that me to a T
Posted by PG, Wed Jun-13-18 12:24 PM
right now.
13266261, I thought this day could only get better.
Posted by PG, Wed Jun-13-18 02:38 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/BvLBKDhHSZdAY/giphy.gif
13266100, I've sacrificed A LOT of playing around when I was younger...
Posted by flipnile, Wed Jun-13-18 11:56 AM
...for stability, resources and time to play now that I'm older. Bars/clubs, random social events, TV, etc. I was a fri/sat night guy for a while in my early 20s, but cut all that out early. A lot of weekend nights spent designing, coding or reading. It worked out.
13266188, **removes raincoat**
Posted by ambient1, Wed Jun-13-18 01:03 PM
lol
13266292, 2 come to mind.
Posted by tariqhu, Wed Jun-13-18 03:16 PM
when I got into the Air Force and found it wasn't for me. had to figure out how to get out. could've been court martialed(sp). luckily, cooler heads prevailed and I was able to leave. right back home to work at Mcdonalds's. :(

2nd time was taking a software consultant job. risky because there was a 6 week boot camp and you could be voted out friday of each week. out as in no job, see ya. I was able to stay on the island for 5 yrs. best decision ever. :)
13266304, I left a job that I had been doing nearly 12 years...
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Jun-13-18 03:42 PM
where I worked with less than 5 people total to go to a corporate-ish job at a company I'd never heard of, complete with all the trappings of working with nearly 100 people in my department. Three and a half years later...it's one of the best moves I've ever made.
13266320, Probably cutting off toxic friends and relatives.
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Jun-13-18 05:23 PM
Because, despite the reasons behind those moves being valid and justified, my natural inclination is to continue to try to repair/reconcile/revisit.

It's perhaps the one area where I possess a high level of discipline.

The desire to reach out is strong with so many of them. The ability/strength to do this likely comes from my children, because it wasn't until after I had my daughter that I was able to do it with any longevity.

In a sense, that cycle of disappointment that comes from those relationships is something of an addiction. I know the inevitable result, I know that what I hope for and envision is more than they are capable and/or willing to give, but the emotional high that comes in the moment I make contact sometimes feels worth the comedown.

But I don't do it, because I know what that does to me, and how much consistently happier I am when I keep that distance far and wide.

It's also because I understand exactly how that cycle feeds this innate cynicism that I hold toward practically everything, and my kids will eventually reach an age where they can observe that cynicism in action.