Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectGranted. I have only been here a month...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13265929&mesg_id=13266351
13266351, Granted. I have only been here a month...
Posted by dapitts08, Thu Jun-14-18 01:32 AM
But I am absolutely in love with Bali. Ubud specifically. Granted there aren't many Black folk here. I probably see like one or two black people a day. Most aren't here long term. Just passing through on their South East Asia vacay. I'm used to being the only Black person because of the stuff I like (I just realized recently that I am mad hippie lol). With that though, literally everyone I have met have been mad friendly. Whether it is locals or other expats, or just tourists passing through on their vacay. Everyone is so open. You can't help but get caught up in the energy of the place. The only downside is that tourism is such a big money producer for them that everyone tries to aggressively sell you stuff. It can be really annoying. Even if you ignore folks or have headphones on the will still keep asking you. Even when you say no they hit you with a second attempt lol. I know it must work that is why they do it but it sucks at times. Especially on the beach when you are just trying to relax and not be interrupted every five minutes :/

I originally planned on only staying here 2 months and then go to Thailand but now I am definitely staying here 4 months. Will still go to Thailand for a few months but thinking Ubud will be my base from where I hop around the world until I make up my mind where I want to stay long term. There is a really good chance I won't return to the states for more than a month or two each year.

I'm also curious about New Zealand. I've met quite a few folks here from there that have been mad cool. Also surprisingly the Australians have been mad cool too but I think that is just cuz a certain type of person travels to Ubud.

*Typing this on my phone so probably has typos lol*