Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectAH gotcha
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13265675&mesg_id=13266068
13266068, AH gotcha
Posted by Damali, Wed Jun-13-18 11:02 AM

>Real talk though...
>I got two daughters... i'm ALWAYS down to read info/advice on
>things/ways/wisdom to impart on them...
>It takes a village right?
>
>I'm still having a hard time imagining a good approach to do
>what Jada says her granny did... i'm all ears though!

There's a concept in Buddhism called "expedient means"....it has to do with teaching someone something gradually as their ability to understand grows and develops.

its why we don't teach kids algebra first...because in order to do it, you have to first learn numbers. then what their values mean. then how to count them in order. then how to add them together, then how to subtract, multiply, divide..then the concept of integers/place holders...etc. THEN you can do algebra

so similarly with conversations about sex with children...to repost something i wrote above:

conversations about sex and owning your body and self-pleasure (which is also NON SEXUAL) should begin when kids are toddlers...or whenever you start talking to your kids about other normal life things like pee and poo etc

first and foremost, conversations about sex with kids should start from a place of teaching them about consent and about knowing/understanding their own self, what pleases them mentally, emotionally and physically. eating is self-pleasure. playing with a favorite toy is self-pleasure. sucking their thumb is self-pleasure

all self pleasure means is PLEASING YOURSELF. as adults, we do that in thousands of ways. but because we were all socialized in a fake puritan mindset, we think conversations around self-pleasure are purely sexual. It should get to sexulaity, yes. But if sexual pleasure is but one piece of the pie of the conversation around self-pleasure, it demystifies it.

So when kids are 5-8, the conversations can progress, since that is when they begin asking questions about where babies come from. You can give them a little more info and they can handle it because you've already taught them the basics (the addition/subtraction)...they are ready for multiplication and division now.

they can start to hear you tell them that sex between two people is for adults but they are allowed to explore their own body in private and that there is nothing wrong with it...this prevents shame. Cuz trust me kids at that age are ALREADY TOUCHING THEMSELVES when you're not around. So how can it possibly be too early to address it?

If the first time your child hears about sex is in school, that's terrible. that's what conscious parenting is for. In fact, read the book The Conscious Parent. I believe it is the best book ever written about letting kids guide you in how to raise them right cuz every kid is different. There is no one way.