Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectDarkies stay in your place(c)The NFL
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13260189
13260189, Darkies stay in your place(c)The NFL
Posted by DavidHasselhoff, Wed May-23-18 12:14 PM
https://abcnews.go.com/US/nfl-mandates-players-stand-national-anthem/story?id=55383840&refid=8&pos=4
13260192, FIIIIIINALLY !!!
Posted by Utamaroho, Wed May-23-18 12:18 PM
Now that all the talking heads have had their say and people have internet squabbled enough to forget this story, maybe....just maybe we'll see what happens when the rubber meets the road.
13260194, On top of this the Eagles are going to the White House
Posted by Lurkmode, Wed May-23-18 12:22 PM

Booooooo

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-see-honor-white-house-visit-players-still-undecided-trip

The Eagles organization accepted an invitation to the White House to commemorate its Super Bowl LII championship on June 5. The question is how many of the flock will be migrating to the nation’s capital that day?

The decision was a hot topic of discussion on Tuesday, Day 1 of voluntary OTAs.

“I’m excited to be going to be honored as world champions. It’s a great honor,” Doug Pederson said. “We’re still working through some logistics right now, so we don’t have all the details today, but excited to be going.”

So the head coach will be attending. As for Carson Wentz, “I know for me, personally, if the team decides as a whole, most guys want to go or be a part of it, I’ll be attending with them,” he said. “I think it’s just a cool way to receive the honor nationally and be recognized. I don’t personally view it — I know some people do and everyone has their opinion on it — but I don’t view it as a political thing whatsoever. I don’t mess with politics very often.”

Wentz may not mess with politics, but Donald Trump’s short tenure in office is the definition of polarizing and it’s impossible for some of his teammates to be apolitical when it comes to visiting the White House.

“Because of the political climate we’re in, it will be taken as a political statement one way or another, whether you want it to or not,” said Brandon Brooks, who has yet to decide if he will be making the trip. “The biggest thing is you have to separate politics from the experience of going to the White House. Me, personally, it really is a tough decision because the president we have now, I agree with some things and some I don’t, so I’ll be looking within myself.”

Some players such as Chris Long and Malcolm Jenkins are on record as saying they will not be going to the White House regardless of what the team as a whole decides.

“For me, there’s a lot going on with that administration and I don’t think it’s the time to really have any kind of productive or constructive conversations about policy,” Jenkins said. “I definitely want to avoid being used as some kind of pawn. The way things have gone the last few months, I don’t think the time is right for that.”

Long and several other players made it very clear that whatever your choice, it will have no ill effect in the locker room.

“As far as teammates, yeah, we all have a choice, so nobody’s judging anybody,” Long said. “It’s an honor to get to go to the White House and it means something different to everybody else.”

Zach Ertz echoed Long’s sentiments about staying unified.

“I’m still deciding. This isn’t going to be a divisive moment in the locker room,” Ertz said. “Guys are going to respect one another’s opinion. One of the things I’ve spoken about is my wife (U.S. women’s soccer player Julie Ertz) had gone in the past after they won the World Cup and she spoke about how fun it was to go there and to learn so much, see the history. So just an opportunity to go there whether you agree with the organization that’s in there or not. It’s the premiere building in this nation.”
13260199, Imagine being such a fucking baby that seeing a grown man kneeling
Posted by Marauder21, Wed May-23-18 12:29 PM
hurt your feelings this bad.

Left wing college campus political correctness is getting OUT OF CONTROL.
13260203, Left Wing college campus activism probably is what got your
Posted by T Reynolds, Wed May-23-18 12:32 PM
first American flag burned in protest of war

This bullshit PC / Liberal label is meathead status
13260205, It was sarcasm
Posted by Marauder21, Wed May-23-18 12:35 PM
13260207, my bad
Posted by T Reynolds, Wed May-23-18 12:36 PM
13260212, I think its more like...
Posted by double negative, Wed May-23-18 12:40 PM
being offended that anyone would dare say anything bad about the country that loves you

these people cant begin to imagine that we have a different reality or that we know the culture and hierarchy in place are not here to serve us.

They see flag and have stars in their eyes. We see the flag and see reality.

it's like that one friend that is love with a horrible horrible no good person but you know if you were to even say anything about their choice in mate they would first attack you and not be able to see the truth.

13260215, What's more important, the symbol of American Freedom
Posted by T Reynolds, Wed May-23-18 12:42 PM
or the actual freedom of your fellow Americans?
13260223, it's both (with a twist.)
Posted by double negative, Wed May-23-18 12:56 PM
>or the actual freedom of your fellow Americans?
>

actual freedom but when it comes to freedom of fellow americans its about "fuck you, let me get mine" while also pretending to give a shit about your fellow americans.

I'm talking about "them" in this case
13260233, but isn't that everybody?
Posted by Utamaroho, Wed May-23-18 01:08 PM
"fuck you, let me get mine"

I remember when the whole confederate statues thing was the buzz and people wanted to take them down and this meme was circulating:

https://tinyurl.com/y9q3846b

black folks that saw it on my page couldn't really say shit cuz at the end of the day nobody thinks about the native peoples here. was watching a whole thing about this concerning the Redskins and how many of the people supporting keeping the name were the many black people in the DC area who don't give a shit about that issue AT ALL.

SHOULD blacks and poor communities care about even poorer disenfranchised people around them, maybe. will people change their lives to make a lasting impact and change...prolly not.

This Is America.
13260476, Both are out of control. 1 doesnt negate other. But yes. Its pathetic.
Posted by Jon, Thu May-24-18 10:53 AM
The right definitely has their own brand of authoratative PC insanity. How does essentially forcing ppl to honor something even feel like an actual honor to these ppl?

13260477, LOL no
Posted by Marauder21, Thu May-24-18 10:54 AM
13260206, welp. might have to boycott for real this year
Posted by T Reynolds, Wed May-23-18 12:36 PM
13260210, Yeah, this might really be it for me, too
Posted by Marauder21, Wed May-23-18 12:39 PM
Because this is so fucking insane.
13260216, Just said the same thing.might be giving it all the way up..i'm 90% there
Posted by ambient1, Wed May-23-18 12:43 PM
and i absolutely love love love the sport

but i don't think my brain can allow
13260226, i boycotted about 80% last year. Might go ahead and give it up....
Posted by WarriorPoet415, Wed May-23-18 12:58 PM
Like I might watch the super bowl over someone's house and that's it.

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.
13260394, yeah i soft boycotted last year just by being disinterested all season.
Posted by Reeq, Thu May-24-18 01:33 AM
this year it will be intentional.
13260395, joins this line.
Posted by dapitts08, Thu May-24-18 01:50 AM
13260409, Just came in to say the same thing. This is such bully shit.
Posted by Jon, Thu May-24-18 07:20 AM
13260590, I was done last year. Didn't watch a single game.
Posted by soulpsychodelicyde, Thu May-24-18 06:38 PM
13260906, yeah. i paid it no never mind last year. this shit is too much, though.
Posted by poetx, Sat May-26-18 03:50 PM

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad
13260217, I was done with the NFL last year
Posted by Hitokiri, Wed May-23-18 12:45 PM
And I already wasn't going back.
I guess this just further cements what was already cemented.
13260231, If the NFL wants to take the higher road with this bullshit,
Posted by T Reynolds, Wed May-23-18 01:05 PM
maybe take the edge off a little

they should donate to the fines to all the charities they promote

that way at least it looks less vindictive
13260313, for some reason I thought it always worked that way
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed May-23-18 03:17 PM
that the player could at least chose from a number of charities for their fine money, but looking it up, it looks like the NFL chooses.

def something they should consider.

>maybe take the edge off a little
>
>they should donate to the fines to all the charities they
>promote
>
>that way at least it looks less vindictive
13260247, Doesn’t the NBA require everyone to stand?
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed May-23-18 01:26 PM
Anyway.. I ain’t boycotting shit.

Call me whatever you want.

13260250, Watch that shit using an illegal stream
Posted by Paps_Smear, Wed May-23-18 01:30 PM
Would be pretty awesome if everyone just stayed in the back until the song stopped playing.
13260401, the only way I used to watch since the Eagles are out of market
Posted by Dr Claw, Thu May-24-18 06:57 AM
I stopped chasing the streams a couple years ago, though
13260406, never have been a football or sports fan...but....
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu May-24-18 07:09 AM
now I get to say this whenever somebody asks if I "saw the game last night"

"Hell naw. FUCK the NFL!"

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
13260408, This is now by far the closest I've been to wanting to boycott.
Posted by Jon, Thu May-24-18 07:20 AM
Forcing players to either actively promote their employer's politics, or voluntarily show up late, and penalizing teams for failure to perfectly express the NFL's religion

I hope entire squads stay in the locker room. This is so fucking heavy handed.

13260448, I know it's most players ticket out the ghetto
Posted by EAS, Thu May-24-18 10:03 AM
so despite the NFL showing its ass, I know many will still comply.
And I know a lot of Black fans will still watch; reliving their glory days of when they played in high school and/or Division II college. And in areas where football is a religion (Texas, Florida), you can forget about a boycott.

But as for me, fuck that!!!!! I am really not supporting this shit. Even socially for a Superbowl party at whoever's house.

Plus......CTE. The NFL was denying that shit for years....now there is more evidence strongly supporting the linkage.

Between CTE and butt hurt owners, that is all I need to stop caring for good.
13260459, i'm not sure that this is as true as it once was in the past
Posted by ambient1, Thu May-24-18 10:26 AM
"I know it's most players ticket out the ghetto"

not these days....

I have no evidence but I believe there's a big difference from the kids that Snoop coached vs the AVERAGE NFL-er who's been coddled in that system since 9

I could most certainly be wrong but...
13260463, Basketball more so than football, but yeah
Posted by flipnile, Thu May-24-18 10:29 AM
A lot of these ballers are smart dudes from good homes that went to good schools and had a nice support system.
13260473, definitely hoops too...there's a difference but in general yeah
Posted by ambient1, Thu May-24-18 10:41 AM
bball isn't surrounded as much by that old school conservative mentality
it's more 'all about the money' based

football brainwashes niggas...literally...with that old school conservative mentality

13260468, im boycotting this year
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu May-24-18 10:32 AM
if the titans start out w/ a losing record after 4 games

13260509, lol @ meghan mccain at the end of this clip
Posted by Reeq, Thu May-24-18 12:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYF_2Z3EwVc

i think everybody is bout done with her shit.
13260941, Lofl. Thank u for this. I just need a clip of that. Shouts to Whoopi.
Posted by astralblak, Sat May-26-18 11:08 PM
13260534, ivory god of wokeness weighs in with his usual fire perspective.
Posted by Reeq, Thu May-24-18 01:00 PM
https://twitter.com/JOEL9ONE/status/999408653445795840
13260586, Steve Kerr
Posted by j0510, Thu May-24-18 06:09 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dd-pZpUUwAAq24j.jpg

https://twitter.com/anthonyVslater/status/999703908766269440
13260589, gon be like 12 scattered mofos on the sidelines
Posted by LAbeathustla, Thu May-24-18 06:38 PM
i also can see players taking advantage of the extra prep time
13260598, That's how I hope it goes. All-time backfire style.
Posted by Brew, Thu May-24-18 09:21 PM
I hope there's teams with single-digit players on the sidelines for the anthem.
13260605, What if a critical mass of players just left + created their own league??
Posted by kfine, Thu May-24-18 11:41 PM
Please go easy on me because I am not a sports girl at all (lol), but seriously.

Humor me.

What all would be involved??

Let's say.. something player and community owned.

PFL. The People's Football League.

Players own shares.. and get like microbonuses for metrics that makes sense for their position (eg. completed passes, yards rushed, tackles, etc.). And community service. And maybe a bigger bonus after x amount of years for staying with the league, even more if they stayed with the same team.

Additional funds raised/crowdsourced from the general public and ticket sales, merch, etc.

Fuck the networks and their adbuys. Streaming deals with Youtube, Netflix, Amazon, Facebook.

NO anthem. NO religious or political overtones. NO mafioso billionaires acting like everyone's daddy. Just fucking football.

I know there's so much more to it, and I'm probably way off base. But I'm confident that there are some really smart people out there that could get creative and figure out something sustainable.

How could we make this a thing??
13260911, The players don't have the money or the organizational
Posted by Shaun Tha Don, Sat May-26-18 05:51 PM
acumen/savvy for it, so it won't last.
13260916, I hear you. Though, I wasn't thinking of players actually administering
Posted by kfine, Sat May-26-18 07:07 PM

a league.. more just them being able to have some partnership equity.
13260912, they cant and wont.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sat May-26-18 05:52 PM
13260917, lol
Posted by kfine, Sat May-26-18 07:08 PM
13260913, Some Saudi sitting around somewhere with 20 Billion in an account...
Posted by bibblegolf, Sat May-26-18 06:15 PM
If the players wanted to let their contracts deplete or stage a walk-out then they could if they REALLY wanted to.

I JUST spoke to my barber on this who cuts a few Vikings' players hair..

..basically all star athletes are pretty much groomed from a young age towards the NFL. If they walk-out they are easily replaceable as there is ALWAYS that next player wanting their slot.

I'm all about all of the star athletes of color from all the teams pooling some of their resources together along with linking with a few Saudi billionaires to form their own league.

Folks just want to watch sports in Amerikkka. period.

I guarantee the tide would shift if they built a few Emirate* stadiums and REALLY got sh!t crackin' pulling players from the NFL with heaftier oil-based contracts.

13260919, Right. Ya I figure its a given the NFL pipeline is well established and
Posted by kfine, Sat May-26-18 07:18 PM

would continue to be so for a long time.

That said, if a People's league was incorporated and could at least attract some decent players.. I agree, I think there could be an opportunity for disruption. If a community-owned model was marketed in a way that emphasized inclusion and freedom to just be who you are in your regular life, as long as you give back to the team's community (which MANY football players do anyway), I'm sure it could attract a lot of support.

I just learned that the majority of stadiums are mostly public financed anyway, usually via some fiscal gymnastics involving hotel or rental car taxes. I'm optimistic that a People's league could raise some serious cash even just domestically, with the right message.

Wikipedia raised 55 million in North America alone in the 2016-2017 FY, with an average donation size of about $20-$30:

https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/2016-2017_Fundraising_Report#Key_Stats

Bernie Sanders raised over 200 million during the 2016 election cycle, more than half of which came from donations less than $200:

https://www.opensecrets.org/pres16/candidate.php?id=N00000528

I'm sure there are football fans out there that would be willing to pay $20 or $50 or $100+ a year for football they could stream, especially knowing most of the money is going towards the players and rewarding them for good performance.

I think even I would donate to such a cause, and I don't watch football lol.
13260948, The same Saudi that probably made that money off the foreign
Posted by Shaun Tha Don, Sat May-26-18 11:44 PM
cheap labor in Saudi Arabia and all the other well-off Middle-Eastern countries?
13260950, shhhhhhhh
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sun May-27-18 12:11 AM
13260953, :( My bad.
Posted by Shaun Tha Don, Sun May-27-18 12:49 AM
13261892, NFL Owners Admit Donald Trump Squeezed Them On Anthem Protests
Posted by j0510, Wed May-30-18 04:18 PM
https://deadspin.com/report-nfl-owners-admit-donald-trump-squeezed-them-on-1826419766
13261903, kaepernick is gonna win this shit.
Posted by Reeq, Wed May-30-18 04:32 PM
nfl owners and goodell are gonna come away looking weak/dumb as shit.