Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectso...this has me freaked out for an unrelated reason.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13243380&mesg_id=13243430
13243430, so...this has me freaked out for an unrelated reason.
Posted by double negative, Fri Mar-16-18 11:00 AM
I watched the fermi paradox video, I've seen that one before but it hit me a bit differently

I'm freaked out because...alright this is a thought I'm having a hard time explaining but I will try.

So, I'm typing this on a computer which is connected to the internet.

Personal computers and the internet are very very recent inventions in relation to human history

Humans in relation to world history are a very recent addition relatively.

Space travel is also a very very very recent addition to human history relatively speaking.

A hundred years ago cars were just beginning to be mass adopted

Our concept of modern plumbing did not come around until 1890.

Two hundred years ago the tin can was invented.

So....I'm thinking with space travel to the point where we are really stretching our legs and going beyond Mars, the Milky Way is going to be something that might not happen in my childs life time or his kids or their kids.

Further, all human needs have been accounted for and they have been for a long time. We mastered farming and shelter, we created commerce.

So...what the fuck is the point of living in a way? What are we supposed to do between now and the time when we evolve as a species?

I mean, I suppose one big to-do for the world is to make it so third world countries become second world and second world to first and keep pushing that until everyone is considered first world but even then...is that it?