Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThis was interesting.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13234490&mesg_id=13235398
13235398, This was interesting.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sun Feb-18-18 05:34 AM
This seemed like he was intentionally being more casual. He usually wears suits in his specials, but it wasn't just that. It's like he didn't polish his act as much as he usually does. Whether or not I've found his jokes funny in the past, he always delivered them flawlessly. He didn't this time. It was like he didn't rehearse as much as usual and kinda let it all hang out and said 'fuck it.' It's not on the level of Lauryn Hill's Unplugged performance, but I saw it as the same concept. He let go a little and got more personal than he has before.
When he'd joke about his marriage before, there may have been some truth in there, but it ultimately always fell more on the side of just jokes. Here, he was being real to the point that I felt that this act was therapeutic/confessional in working out some shame or guilt, damn near. I'm not mad at the brother at all. I just feel like I saw Rock in a way I haven't before... more casual, less polished, personal, and emotionally open... dealing with pain so real that he couldn't completely make light of it.

Overall, I feel like Chris realized he's not a perfect person. He realized he's flawed, and he owned it. He stopped TRYING to be perfect. He took off the suit, dressed down, let his jokes come out however they came out, and let himself be a regular dude. I know he'll be ok. That said, I'd like to see the old Chris in the suit return. I'll understand if he doesn't though. Sometimes we never are who we were after we "fall from grace" so to speak.

And I was cool with him using Prince's "Tambourine" since Prince was fond of Rock and they were friends. Prince believed in "friends", not fans, and Rock qualified.