Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI'll play along...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13233780&mesg_id=13233871
13233871, I'll play along...
Posted by spenzalii, Mon Feb-12-18 01:26 PM
>1) What is your primary source of music? Do you use a
>streaming app, multiple streaming apps? Still rocking a
>personal library? Still doing CDs? Cassettes?
Primarily I keep my music on my Ipod Classic, and will never give it up until I die (that said, it had been acting wonky so I'll probably end up with a Sony MP3 player of some sort before spring is out).Most of my music is stored on my home server, and is based on a collection of ripped CDs and digital files collected over the years. I still have a large collection of CDs, cassettes, and vinyl (though I do need to hook up my cassette player and get a new turntable)

I have yet to fully embrace streaming, so I'm not on Spoitfy, Tidal, Apple Music, etc. I had signed up with Pandora back when they originally started and will go there from time to time (mainly for QLS these days), and I have used Google Play Music as of late (mainly because it came with YouTube Red and as a way to listen to podcasts). I've got a Soundcloud account, but again, don't use it too much except for the random podcast

>
>2) Do you usually listen to playlists? Are they based on an
>artist/ several artists or more of a mood? Are they playlists
>you made, where you individually picked out all the songs on
>the playlist? Do you prefer to listen to music in blocks of
>similar songs, gangsta rap hour, new jack swing, late 90's boy
>bands, etc or shuffle and mix it up as much as possible?
>
This depends on the mood. I had a few playlists back when I had my iPod Photo (it's been a while, I know), but mainly I just keep the
iPod on shuffle, as I have a little bit of everything in my collection.Sometimes I'm in the mood for one artist, and will listen to then on shuffle if I have a few albums from them. Other times I may just want to play an album straight through, so I'll go to that and turn the shuffle off. One of the biggest reasons I stuck with my iPod so long is the whole 'gapless playback', where there's no pause between songs on an album that didn't have them. That more than anything turned me off to a lot of earlier MP3 players, and since the iPod played the album as I was used to on cassette and CD I stuck with it.

When I'm on Google Play Music I will listen to a station or list they have curated, or play my music library at random. It's not that I have anything against playlists (I've got tons of mixtapes I made in my tape bag, so I know very well how to set up a good list), but these days I'm just lazy.

>3) Do you listen to whole albums often? Mostly new or older?
Yes, old and new. I really believe the art of making an album is being lost, as more and more music sounds like long ass playlists. A good album is much more cohesive, like a theme is running through it. A good concept album (see Pharaoh Monch or Masta Ace) is extremely hard to do, and you almost have to listen to it straight through to get the story.

>4) How do you discover new music?
By accident. Hear something on XM radio, random suggestion from family or OKP, GPM suggestions, YouTube suggestions, that kind of thing

>
>5) What's your primary hardware set up for music? Phone and
>earbuds/headphones? Car? Home stereo set up? Bluetooth
>speakers? Internal phone speaker?
Commuting to and from work 90 minutes or so a day means I've got a lot of time listening in the car. The ride will rotate between XM radio, terrestrial radio (news and sports, mainly), iPod, and streamed podcasts. If I'm working around the house I usually have my Sony earbuds plugged into the iPod or my phone, depending on what I'm listening to. I would like to invest in a good set of bluetooth buds (especially once I get the Sony Walkman), but I haven't been overly impressed so far. Considering just about every phone is getting rid of the headphone jack, it's either that or buy a lot of dongles. I also have a component system at home that sounds great, but I need to revise a lot in my basement so I can get everything hooked up at once (TV, PS4, LP, etc)