Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectWhat's feminine about that portrait?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13233778&mesg_id=13234257
13234257, What's feminine about that portrait?
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Feb-13-18 12:38 PM
Cause flowers are in it?

You should be spending more time questioning why you reflexively consider the portrait feminine than trying to argue it is.

More importantly, you should be challenging your student's notion of masculinity than co-signing them or using them as a source of authority on what is masculine and notions of manhood.

I am a man, raised by a strong father, trying to raise two boys into strong men. Nothing about this strikes me as feminine. I trust my notions of manhood more than your students.

Random Side Question: Do you think Cam'ron is feminized when he wears Pink gear?

>why is he portrayed that way (feminine)?
>
>i just showed the pics to my class and ask their thoughts
>
>they said “they trying to say he’s soft”
>
>and if you read the village voice article i linked... wiley
>says he never has the sexuality convo with his subjects. so he
>don’t know if they gay or not so your major point is based
>on a false assumption

No this proves my point. without knowing the sexuality of his subjects, how do you assume that he is feminizing his subjects? He has plenty of paintings in which the male subjects don't assume any sort of what you are stereotyping as feminine poses. So why assume the ones who do have feminine poses were feminized by Wiley (as oppose to be naturally feminine subjects?)

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"