Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectNo one's entertainment determines how I engage in discussion.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13232959&mesg_id=13234099
13234099, No one's entertainment determines how I engage in discussion.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Tue Feb-13-18 08:43 AM
So your concern with my interaction with Legs is your issue alone.

>>I'll copy this here just in case you change your mind about
>>answering:
>>
>>"I've seen you criticize Black rap artists. Are you being a
>>crab in a barrel in that instance by discrediting those
>>"harmless" Black people? Your points don't always "hold
>>weight" to me, afterall... such as your point about Big KRIT
>>being a Pimp C biter, because you thought they sounded alike
>>as a New Yorker. Why would you try to discredit that
>harmless
>>Black man's hard work and artistic expression?"
>
>sure, I feel like Big Krit has borrowed heavily from Pimp C
>
>if you need to draw correlation between that and the backlash
>against Jessica and Phoebe, it's a free world but I fail to
>see your logic
>
>not that it should have needed explaining, but crab in the
>barrel shit is closer to "these black women are winning and I
>hate it because it's not black enough" than "Big Krit sounds
>an awful lot like Pimp C"

It's curious that you're having to re-word and characterize your own criticism so innocently while wrongly wording and mis-characterizing others' criticism of 2 Dope Queens. You didn't simply say "sounds an awful lot like/borrowed heavily" and no one said they're "winning and I hate it because it's not black enough." The criticisms of the show presented here are more nuanced than you suggest, and most people just said it's not for them... not that they hate it.
Also, you said this is only about their comedy... but now you're back to talking about the backlash again... which is about their comedy AND other things about them on the show, so now you're trying to lie your way out of this hole you're digging. Plus, criticism is still criticism and applies to your "crab in the bucket" philosophy. I'd say your criticism of KRIT was for an even sillier reason that you're saying this one is for. You're being hypocritical and should just support all Black people getting money simply because they're "getting ahead" if Black people NOT doing that is problematic in your view... or was KRIT an easy target for you b/c he wasn't attaining a larger audience due to drawing the white gaze?
Continuing down that road, I'm gonna use the context clue of your comment about Monique's "even smaller" audience to help define what you mean by "getting ahead/winning" and conclude that you mean they have a bigger audience via gaining the white gaze. How that gaze is attained is part of the criticism, and I'd think you'd understand that (but maybe you don't... or will pretend not to, now).

>since you went so far as to double down, Im just going to
>assume you're being sincerely weird and not trolling

And since you can't seem to engage in a disagreement without namecalling, I notice that you're sincerely immature. You also criticize people for doing the same things you do for even worse reasons, so you're extremely hypocritical.