Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectIt's not even really that cause like, Mos Def isn't really braggadocios ...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13232860&mesg_id=13233446
13233446, It's not even really that cause like, Mos Def isn't really braggadocios ...
Posted by Brew, Fri Feb-09-18 11:55 AM
>but hell, maybe he is boring since his topics are self
>depreciating and he isn't bragadocious on the mic.

... and he's one of my favorite MCs ever. I think it's that his production doesn't really hit like the types of beats I typically enjoy. There's a lifelessness to them. Even though it seems like all the elements are there, for whatever reason it just doesn't click.

Re: self-deprecation, I also enjoy the hell out of that type of MCing. Blu's early work had a lot of self-deprecation. Eminem. Redman. All 3 of them have been and/or remain as top MCs to me so for me personally, it's not that either. Or at least it *can't* be. Haha.

Honestly I'm trying so hard to describe why I don't like his music because I can't fucking figure it out myself. It's all there, all the things I historically like about MCs. I just don't get anything out of his art, and I can't figure it out outside of just not being moved by it. And it kinda makes me sad specifically *because* of how talented he clearly is. But oh well.