Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: That was the 80s, and the 80s isn't a good argument for 2018.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13230295&mesg_id=13231025
13231025, RE: That was the 80s, and the 80s isn't a good argument for 2018.
Posted by double 0, Tue Jan-30-18 06:39 PM
It's not because we aren't still doing it,
>and I can't call exactly what it is (and Double 0 and BigReg,
>please spare me the "AIN'T NOBODY DOING IT" bs),

I never said that.. I said the ones who can make it are literally making it (well)
are with Bruno (Phillips Lawrence, James Fauntleroy, Brody Brown).

People FUCKED with Omarion Entourage, The-Dream - Walking on the Moon ..
but thats 10 years ago now...

Lets be ALL the way real. 24kt Magic was accepted cuz it rode off Uptown Funk wave... but his biggest hit on the album is "Thats What I like" which is extremely contemporary in tempo & drums

>to be a concerted effort to shut us out. This is why the
>whole Jay-Z and Puffy "do it like I did it" stuff is
>misguided. Those kinds of Black moguls and millionaires
>aren't being created anymore. In pop music, the gatekeepers
>seem to be only allowing a certain type in.

You dont think Nicki, Kendrick, Kanye, Drake & Chance are on their way there? They are all literally one liquor sponsorship or cash out of an investment away from being right up there.

With all the
>Black talent out here, how Sam Smith and Adele the most
>"soulful" singers on radio? That's not an accident.

The UK is not the US... Adele wasnt supposed to pop like she did. Her first album didn't change the game like that and if you peep the initial roll out of 21 it wasnt the roll out of a "We Forcing This".

She caught a wave it connected .. and she WROTE her shit. That doesnt happen often AT ALL which is why her shit is legendary (esp last decade)

>Tori Kelly stay getting placement.

So does Andra Day, Esperanza Spalding, John Legend, Alicia Keys

Do you know who Curtis Harding is
>tho? Yes.. learned about him in a TV commercial. He is the kind or artist the grammys loves actually

Stacey Barthe?

Firstly her name is Stacy... She had the same look Bruno did and hasnt (yet) capitalized. She had the Rihanna alley-oop and was the talk of the industry right after she wrote Cheers. It didnt convert when she dropped her single and TBH Motown wasn't yet in the position to blow anyone up. They didnt have the right team.. that shit happens WAY more than Bruno style wins.

Capital couldnt even get Emile Sande to convert and she sold 2 MILLI in UK before coming here... had Kendrick on the remix of the single and STILL was opening for John Legend and only sold a bit over 200k here.

I think there are obstacles.. but you may also need to realize the AUDIENCE (including black people) is complicit in the under representation...

Same reason you dont have any women with careers similar to Chance or Russ is why Non-Black Artists that can smash the stage still peak interest to black and non black audiences alike.