Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI don't think Adidas is killing them, they are a one-trick pony
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13225537&mesg_id=13226218
13226218, I don't think Adidas is killing them, they are a one-trick pony
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Tue Jan-16-18 12:06 PM
The Yeezy hype is dying fast and the Boost hype is too. They haven't yet effectively integrated Boost into basketball models and the PureBoost and Ultra Boost have been done to death. The mid-top models have gotten no traction. I like that they are bringing back Feet You Wear but it won't pop. They moved on quickly from certain tech like FYW and Formotion that they should have kept. They have a lot of high price-tag models from Simmons, Wang, et al that seem to just exist to exist, few are produced and fewer are sold. They are also ugly as fuck.

Nike I think was wayward for a while but they have had some decent models lately. The VaporMax isn't my favorite but it's been a success and aesthetically I would take it over the Boost stuff, especially the majority that have a stryo-foam white Boost unit. The LeBron 15 is a very innovative shoe and most of the performance-oriented Jordans have looked good and been great for hoops (xx8 an all-time great performer). The KD line has found its footing and the Kyrie 3 was a very sharp-looking shoe. The Off-White collab I thought was hotter than any of Adidas's designer or rapper-inspired stuff.

Adidas has made a nice push from obscurity to the center but Nike still dominates the market. People were hyping Under Armour as the next big thing not long ago but they made a number of missteps and now they are back in the periphery. Adidas is a stronger name but in footwear they have had some real shit years until recently and could easily get back to that level if they don't keep pushing forward with new marketing and innovative tech.