Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI did not appreciate the premise of the last bit in equanimity
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13222984&mesg_id=13222998
13222998, I did not appreciate the premise of the last bit in equanimity
Posted by Hitokiri, Tue Jan-02-18 11:12 AM
While I enjoyed both specials, this really stuck out to me.

So the joke is set up on the Emmett Till murder, and his lying accuser.
And Dave is trying to reconcile what happened to Emmett, the lies of his accuser and how that event "allowed" for Dave's success.

I think that shit is fucked up, and lacks context.
First of all, the idea that what happened to that child is in anyway "made up for" by where we've gotten to is fucked up. He did not ask to be a martyr, he never agreed to be murdered to further a cause. His mother did not agree to bury her child to inspire a movement. Nothing makes up for that. No one's success today can make up for what happened to that child. Nothing makes up for what happened to the child. Nothing.

Secondly, it's a misreading of history to think that the civil rights movement could not/would not have happened without Emmett Till (and his death). Yes, his murder was an galvanizing event, but the wheels were already in motion. There was and would have been a movement without the death of that boy. There were hundreds of Emmett Tills. It was not about that single child, it was about a country in which there were hundred of him.

Thirdly, let's not act like the Civil Rights movement was 100% successful and that shit is all sweet now. I'm in no way trying to downplay the movement or it's importance, but we still got black folks being shot down in the street with impunity -- which if you will recall was a specific pillar of the CRM. So... yeah.