Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectOK. I got time today.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13221891&mesg_id=13222742
13222742, OK. I got time today.
Posted by soulpsychodelicyde, Fri Dec-29-17 09:22 AM
>I'm more concerned about how parts of our community approach bottom up approaches to folks dealing with problems that affect their lives.<

Heard.

>If he's homophobic and sexist, sure, that's terrible.<

He is. This is well documented but conveniently left out of this *points above* conversation. Not one person who is pushing back on folks' disdain for him has even touched it, yet it is the very reason most don't fuck with him. Folks got their fingers firmly stuck in the ears on some, 'But what about black-on-black crime?' FOH

>If he's been practicing without a license he should be in jail.<

Agree.

>But how many black families sent their kids to white,
>religious private schools that historically & institutionally
>are more homophobic and sexist, all in pursuit of a "better
>education"?

See and this is where I gotta push back.

1. "More" homophobic and sexist? I'd need receipts, but that is a minor point and not at all what this is about;

2. The list of institutions that are historically & institutionally built on homophobia and sexism is long. Real long. We'd never go to any school, use any consumer product, work for any company, hell live in the U.S. if our barometer was calibrated to the foundation these institutions were built on, unfortunately.

3. Your example is not apples-to-apples. If there were a founder or leader of a white, religious private school loudly spewing this kind of hate, my response would be the same. Fuck *insert leader*, the school, and I'd want them or their institutions nowhere near my children. You're comparing institutions that may have been built on it, to a person trying to start a school WHOSE ENTIRE NARRATIVE is anchored by hate of black women and the LGBTQ community. Could I make a case for parents needing to be more diligent about understanding the schools they send their children to so that the understand its history? Sure. But knowing that Catholicism, for example, has traditionally been pretty sexist and outwardly homophobic and still sending your kid to a Catholic school is *miles* away from sending your kid to a school whose founder or leader believes that single black mothers 'psychologically castrate' their sons and that's why they "turn" gay.

>The entire northern private Catholic school system and the
>entire Southern private Protestant schools are BUILT on
>racism, sexism, and homophobia (against the students, at
>least).
>
>The selectively higher bar for poor black people is
>interesting

This is not about money or class and I'm struggling to understand how you got there. Is Umar's school gonna be free? Is that the distinction you're making? If so, I guess... maybe I can follow your thinking but it still falls off a cliff because HE'S A MISOGYNIST HOMOPHOBE. Full stop. Shouldn't the conversation end there? Is there anything else to question about why folks don't fuck with him? Why isn't it enough that he's really a horrible influence on our community and shouldn't have anything to do with educating anyone, least of all our children. I take issue with the idea that class is the driver and not just common fuckin' sense as in... I don't want this clown educating or having ANYTHING to do with my children and I'm horrified that the community keeps giving him a platform. Poor black people don't think that way, too?