Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectCelebrities with complicated friendships
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13217795&mesg_id=13217795
13217795, Celebrities with complicated friendships
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Tue Dec-05-17 12:47 PM
We often talk about celebs who feud with each other, but what are some stories and examples of those who just seem to have complicated friendships, relationships, and even friendly rivalries?

First one I think about is Steve Harvey and Cedric The Entertainer. They appeared to be best friends in the 90's when Steve had the show, and they both did Kings of Comedy and were always rolling together. Then, I started hearing about different incidents, mainly due to Steve's arrogance and diva type attitude. I've heard they clashed a lot, and I'm not sure if this was before or after the incident where Steve tried to steal Bernie's role behind his back. A lot of folks felt Ced was giving him an invisible side eye during the Def Comedy Jam when Steve talked about Bernie.

I for sure think about Brandy and Monica. I'm not sure exactly when and where their rivalry started, but it had to be somewhere around 95-96 when they first debuted. A L.A. "urban legend" claims that Monica was on 92.3 The Beat one morning, and when someone asked her about Brandy, she said "oh, you mean Mo to the, Ho to the."

"The boy is mine" brought them together of course, but I've seen them in interviews together where you can still see that there is tension, even if they claim to be friends. I also caught Brandy's performance at some award show last year where she threw shots at Monica, so who knows where they currently stand. It seems like they're on bad terms again though.

I know that Snoop has had a few relationships like this. The first was with Dre, after Dre left Death Row. They never blatantly dissed each other, but a lot of folks (somewhat accurately) predicted that Doggfather would fail because Dre wasn't involved. On the song "Freestyle conversation," the skit starts off saying "I heard Snoop Dogg ain't shit without a beat," and Snoop says "I don't give a fuck about a beat!" which was a straight sub shot. Even "Been there, done that" could be seen as a diss to most Gangsta Rappers, including Snoop/DPG.

They got cool again in 99 once Snoop was on Death Row, and they did The Wash in 2001...and then, Dre dissed Jermaine Dupri, who was Snoop's homie. Snoop took offense to Dre and Xzibit dissing him, while knowing they didn't have the balls to diss Suge Knight, who's the one who deserved it way more than anything JD did. They made up pretty fast, but Snoop did throw shots at Xzibit on "Pimp Slapp'd" (I'm not Xzibit, you can't pull my hoe card!) He also had quick feuds with Daz and Kurupt around 99 and 2003.

Drake and Kendrick are another prime example...Drake had Kendrick on the "Take care" skit, and I think they might have even toured together. All seemed to be great, and then Kendrick mentioned him on "Control" and all hell broke loose on Drake's part. I don't think they really became cool again until 1-2 years ago...I figure the line on "For free" and even the whole song concept was a nod to Kendrick.

I know there's a few of these within the world of Sports. Kobe and Shaq are a prime example...from Kobe being the little bro, to becoming better than Shaq and having that huge ego clash that lead to Shaq being traded...to them halfway making up when they first played (remember Kobe got inbetween Shaq and Bynum after Bynum dunked on Shaq?)...and then, whenever Shaq made that "Kobe how my ass taste?" diss. They had a long podcast last year, and it seems like they're BFFs again. Kobe spoke at his statue unveiling, and I'm sure Shaq will speak at Kobe's retirement this month.

What are some examples that y'all have knowledge about?