Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectshe apologiized
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13213803&mesg_id=13213891
13213891, she apologiized
Posted by c71, Sun Nov-19-17 08:10 AM
I'm not evaluating the meaning of the apology - just reporting it. So I don't need any wisdom about why it matters or doesn't matter, why it counts or doesn't count.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/361071-lena-dunham-apologizes-after-defending-girls-writer-accused-of-sexual

Lena Dunham apologizes after defending 'Girls' writer accused of sexual assault

BY BRANDON CARTER - 11/18/17

Lena Dunham apologizes after defending 'Girls' writer accused of sexual assault

Former “Girls” star Lena Dunham has issued a statement apologizing after she defended a former “Girls” writer who was accused of sexual assault.

“I never thought I would issue a statement publicly supporting someone accused of sexual assault, but I naively believed it was important to share my perspective on my friend’s situation as it has transpired behind the scenes over the last few months,” Dunham said in a statement.

“I now understand that it was absolutely the wrong time to come forward with such a statement, and I am so sorry,” she continued.

Dunham said that every woman who has spoken out about their experiences with sexual harassment and assault “deserves to be heard, fully and completely,” and said her relationship to the writer “should not be part of the calculation anyone makes when” examining those allegations.

“We apologize to any women who have been disappointed,” Dunham said.

The Wrap reported this week that actress Aurora Perrineau had filed a complaint with Los Angeles police against “Girls” writer Murray Miller, accusing him of raping her in 2012 when she was 17 years old.

After the report, Dunham and “Girls” writer Jenni Konner defended Miller in a statement released Friday.

“During the windfall of deeply necessary accusations over the last few months in Hollywood, we have been thrilled to see so many women’s voices heard and dark experiences in this industry justified. It’s a hugely important time of change and, like every feminist in Hollywood and beyond, we celebrate,” the two wrote, according to Entertainment Weekly. “But during every time of change there are also incidences of the culture, in its enthusiasm and zeal, taking down the wrong targets.”

“We believe, having worked closely with him for more than half a decade, that this is the case with Murray Miller. While our first instinct is to listen to every woman’s story, our insider knowledge of Murray’s situation makes us confident that sadly this accusation is one of the 3% of assault cases that are misreported every year. It is a true shame to add to that number, as outside of Hollywood women still struggle to be believed. We stand by Murray and this is all we’ll be saying about this issue.”

A lawyer for Miller also denied the allegations, calling them “outrageous.”

Dunham campaigned for Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton in the 2016 election and has been a vocal critic of President Trump.