Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectJustice League is a mess.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13212425&mesg_id=13212425
13212425, Justice League is a mess.
Posted by bwood, Tue Nov-14-17 09:25 AM
I don't hate this, but I don't love it.

This movie is a mess. It's a hybrid of Snyder, Whedon, and most of all studio mandated notes. Kevin Tsuijhara's 2-hour runtime mandate absolutely prevents this from being more than it could be.

This feels like a video game cutscene with all of your favorite superheroes doing cool poses, catchphrases, and no soul. Ninety percent of this movie has a look of a green screen background in the worst way possible. Also, Henry Cavill has an uncanny valley thing going on as they had to green screen his mustache off his face due to Mission: Impossible six.

All the connective tissue is missing. I literally did not give a shit about Cyborg and Aquaman. At least Cyborg they give you scenes with his dad that don't connect, but poor Aquaman gets a throwaway line from Mera for his whole backstory. I shit you not if you are not familiar with these characters, you are going to be lost. I'm still waiting to be introduced to Aquaman and Cyborg properly cause those Quicktime files in BvS are not a fucking introduction. And Atlantis looks like shit.

The plot just moves from one action set piece to the next. Steppenwolf is the most generic villain I've seen in a comic book movie with the most generic motivations. It's clear the set up for New Gods and Darkseid got axed.

There's barely a camaraderie built for this team. I never got why they would work together.

Batman is moving towards the traditional take on him (thank God), Wonder Woman looks bored most of the time, The Flash gives this movie some much-needed life, and Superman I'll save for last due to spoilers.

This is a step sideways for the DCEU. This is a film I never want to see again. There's some stuff that gives promise to the overall
DCEU that has me excited as well as future Flash, Batman, and Superman movies. And those two end credits scenes? I want to see those movies.

BvS launched the vilest fandom on Earth. Mostly composed of men thirty and older. Think about this, grown men getting mad that people actually hate a movie featuring children's characters.

This didn't make me mad more than make me indifferent for the two hours I was watching it. I mean it's better than BvS and Suicide Squad by default cause you gotta be trying really hard to make something that bad.

*SPOILERS*
Superman's resurrection is garbage. He's evil for five minutes then comes back to being good five minutes later. So sloppy.