Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjecta lot of people are missing the intensity on the ground.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13211083&mesg_id=13220192
13220192, a lot of people are missing the intensity on the ground.
Posted by Reeq, Wed Dec-13-17 11:40 PM
but the groundswell is pretty obvious just by skimming through social media.

i dont like attacking the media because i think they are a convenient blanket scapegoat. but the last 2 years have made it pretty clear how out of touch national media is with 'real' people.

like the prevailing narrative before the northam election was that he was a boring candidate who failed to excite young voters. meanwhile actual college students were saying they were ready to throw bows for ralph northam come election day. and they turned out at a record clip.

the prevailing narrative before the alabama election was that black voters werent enthused for the dem candidate. but doug jones was packing churches and fish frys like crazy. and this was following a bham mayoral election where randall woodfin got thousands of previously untapped voters to turn out. and he was bringing that energy to the jones campaign. it was clear this was one of the few statewide races in alabama where black folks actually thought their voice would matter.

the dem coalition ground game right now is amazing. and theres an awakening among black voters...especially among black women...who are realizing the collective power they have to change the course of history through their vote.

this is all taking place right in broad daylight but national media seems to be ignoring it for some reason.

and two words: yard signs. when people bring up the amount of yard signs they see in their area to gauge candidate viability, they get ridiculed by pundits with stuff 'yeah well yard signs dont vote' (they said this about trump signs in blue collar dem districts in pa, oh, etc). but i noticed a trend of people saying stuff like 'there are tons of (dem candidate) yard signs in my neighborhood and ive never seen dem yard signs here before' in red districts. then dems end up flipping that district blue or at least overpeforming and making it real close. i literally search '(insert candidate) yard signs' on social media just to get a feel for whats going on at the ground level lol.