Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectyep yep... my kids love 'em
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13204751&mesg_id=13204822
13204822, yep yep... my kids love 'em
Posted by lonesome_d, Mon Oct-23-17 10:06 AM
>Any recommendations?

Sure

>Preferably ones
>you or kids you know have had some experience with, and not
>traditional superhero.

Plenty of good superhero stuff for kids and tweens. (I have problems withthe 'all-ages' label simply bc a lot of 'all-ages' stuff is not truly 'all-ages,' but more aimed at teens and up. Meanwhile, at least some stuff that is not inappropriate for kids gets labeled M. It's wacky.)

>Bone

Jeff SMith's 'Tuki: Save The Humans!' is also great, especially if the kids are into paleontology, but he only got 4 issues in.

>Dragonball

Same creator did another book called Sandland I thought was perhaps a little more age-appropriate for younger readers, and good fun

>Mouse Guard

david Petersen also did an illustrated Wind in the Willows... amazing artwork (though not a comic)

Additional suggestions
1. Younger kids
A. the Art Baltazar/Franco comics:
-Patrick the Wolf Boy
-Tiny Titans
-Tiny Titans/Lil' Archie (hilarious)
-Superman Family Adventures
-Aw Yeah Comics!/Action Cat & Adventure Bug
-Itty Bitty Hellboy/The Mask

B. Sholly Fisch's writing for DC
-DC Superfriends - formulaic, but a great age-appropriate intro to the DCU
-Batman The Brave & The Bold/All-New Batman the Brave & the Bold - very similar to DC Superfriends
-Scooby Doo Team-Up - The Gang teams up with characters from the DCU or less impressively the Hanna-Barbera extended family

C. Roger Langridge's work is consistently excellent
-Snarked! is my favorite, set in the the Lewis Carroll U and involving the Walrus, the Carpenter, and a feisty young princess
-His Muppet Show books were excellent and really captured thhe Muppets vibe. Came out from KaBoom! in the years before the Muppets went to Disney so no idea if they're still available.
-Abigail & the Snowman is charming charming charming

C. Other books & series for reading aloud or kids on their own
-Zita the Space Girl - simply charming
-the Little Lit & Toon books (my favorite was the Folklore & Fairy Tales collection, but plenty of good stuff for elementary school ages.)
-My older boy is a game nut so he's particularly enjoyed the various Mega Man and Sonic series. His favorites are the Mega Man manga - Megamix, Gigamix, NT Warrior. He also really liked the Archie Comics crossover minis with Sonic and Mega Man.
-Feathers (Jorge Corona)
-Owly (no words, good for very young kids)
-Korgi (no words, beautiful art, might get a little scary for youngest readers as the brave fire-breathing Korgi does battle with creepy crawly monsters and aliens)
-James Kochalka's books (Dragon Puncher, Johnny Boo) are hilarious
-My youngest (7) is really enjoying the Grumpy Cat comics... *shrug*
-Amulet: wears its influences on its sleeve, but still a fun story

2. Middle school stuff
Easy for me to lose track of what's good because my kids are trying to read any manga they can get their hands on, including stuff I'd rather they not read (mostly junk like Soul Eater, Bleach, Magi, blah blah blah) but I can recommend a few American comics
-Power Up (BoomBox!) by Kate Leth - a little bit gender bent (the bearded macho hero's costume turns out to be a tutu type getup and tiara) but so good my 12 year old boy didn't care
-the Raina Telgemier books - Smile! is good for younger kids, Drama is more middle school
-The Crogan series (interesting pockets of history)
-Surprised you had Moon Girl but not Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, which I prefer. Funny and good MU breadth.
-Runaways is another Marvel property good for middle-schoolers. New #1 recently in advance of an upcoming TV show. And my 11 year old daughter wants to be Molly Hayes for Halloween.
-DC's been a little slower on YA type titles. My boy loves Blue Beetle (but prefers the original Jaime Rayes run to the current one).
-I think GOtham Academy might be a little better.
-A little bit more out there, my oldest (12) has read the complete Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind manga 3 times. It's his favorite movie ever and he loves the book.
-Gunnerkrig Court: a bit fantasy, a bit steampunk, a bit romance... pretty charming. My kids went crazy for it.
-Courtney Crumrin: not quite as popular with the kids but they like/read it.
-the Jim Henson's The Storyteller series - perfectly captures the vibe of the old TV show. Anthology series, so content can be up or down but is mostly amazing - the two volumes we read were Witches and Dragons. Ok for younger kids too but a little creepy and/or violent at times.
-Joe the Barbarian (Grant Morrison/Sean Murphy) - haven't tried this on my own kids yet, but think it would be a good fit
-Stuff of Darkness: the Boogey Man kidnaps The Boy, and his toys go into The Dark in search of him. Adventure ensues.
-Mr. Stuffins - awesome teddy bear turned secret agent story

I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff, obviously. Hope some of these are qhat you're looking for.