Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectTrue Detective Season 3 starring Mahershala Ali
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13178028
13178028, True Detective Season 3 starring Mahershala Ali
Posted by bwood, Wed Jul-26-17 05:32 PM
Just announced by HBO.

Praying this is better than Season 2.
13178030, Hoping that Prince Ali can save this
Posted by mrhood75, Wed Jul-26-17 05:40 PM
The idea of Milch collaborating with Pizzolatto also gives me some hope.
13178031, If they can keep this shit to no more than 2 detectives
Posted by bwood, Wed Jul-26-17 05:47 PM
Then we're already on the right track.
13178036, I think a large cast for a show like this can be done right
Posted by mrhood75, Wed Jul-26-17 06:18 PM
**If** they want to go that direction (and there's no indication that they will), then that's where I see bringing in Milch helps, as he's had success working with HBO on series with sprawling casts and narratives; Deadwood and Luck were both really good.

I just don't think they should automatically go the opposite direction just because season 2 was such a mess. Especially since Season 2 was Pizzolatto's reaction to complaints about season 1 (not enough characters, not enough plot, etc.).
13178041, interesting, I hadn't heard that before
Posted by Nodima, Wed Jul-26-17 06:41 PM
>Especially
>since Season 2 was Pizzolatto's reaction to complaints about
>season 1 (not enough characters, not enough plot, etc.).

I read it more as not wanting to tell the same story twice, and possibly more actors putting in bids to get roles in the next season, and I think its sloppiness grew out of a desire to make a bigger thing which the show often felt like it didn't want to be, it just HAD to be. he had however long to plot out season one and then he expanded and produced season two pretty damn quickly. but this is just me projecting onto the show, if he said those things then that's obviously what happened. for me the subtext of season 2 was a guy who very deliberately didn't want to repeat himself, to his and to a lot of his audience's detriment. I personally admired it.

I think if he had used season one as a template, similar to how Noah Hawley does Fargo where every character is the same archetype and generally experiences the same arc and the primary variable is the theme of the season and that determines what looks or feels different, he'd have had a more critically successful show. Fargo is great. but True Detective is more interesting because it got weird in a stupid, messy way, and for as long as HBO wants to do the show it will always be more interesting, even if it's not as consistent or good.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
13178032, I still think TDSE02 was totally interesting and a fun watch.
Posted by Nodima, Wed Jul-26-17 05:48 PM
a waste of time? probably. up its own ass? undoubtedly.

was it a little disappointing that the second season wasn't as tightly wrapped as the first season was? a little, but I also thought it was cool that True Detective could be a show that was either about everything or nothing and often both at the same time, and in one season could be a send up of serial killer thrillers of the 90s and in another season a send up of confounding character actor action movies of the 80s.

there was a lot to complain about with season 2 but it was still a fun ride, I thought.

~~~~~~~~~
13178035, In this line with you...
Posted by Creole, Wed Jul-26-17 06:11 PM
As for Season 3, I'm just hopeful it's good entertainment but closer in quality to the defining Season 1.
13178084, Reason Season 2 was disappointing is cause a good show was there
Posted by BigReg, Thu Jul-27-17 08:07 AM
...somewhere.

Colin Farrel's surprise 'death' early on and the reason he was fucked up, Vince Vaughn's classic gangster fairy tale of trying to go clean, Rachel Adam's take on the fuckup cop, etc, on top of the general palette of small town corruption...these are all good characters, good actors, and a good world

Its what makes it annoying; if you chopped alot of the extranous pieces away (less overbearing dialogue, less plots, beef up or remove some of those badguy side characters) you would have had a good season
13178092, It was the It Was Written to Season 1's Illmatic
Posted by j., Thu Jul-27-17 08:35 AM
everyone all hyped up expecting another classic
S2 wasn't outright wack, it had its moments
just didn't live up to expectations

13178110, yes it was good, not great
Posted by makaveli, Thu Jul-27-17 09:14 AM
but season 1 is one of the greatest things ever on television.
13190894, I didn't like it, but it was colin farrell's masterwork
Posted by dba_BAD, Fri Sep-01-17 10:44 AM
which is a shame that it will forever be buried in an unpopular piece
13190978, TDSE02 may have worked if that was the entire series
Posted by bentagain, Fri Sep-01-17 02:38 PM
Trying to develop 10+ characters in 1 season was the FaiL

conversely, the reason TDSE01 worked so well

they focused on 2 characters and were able to develop them fully in 1 season

it ain't rocket science, they did 4 too much in season 02

...but I have to say...

the scene of Vince Vaughn's character transitioning to death is one of my all-time favorite TV scenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdN4ka0oMEs

...you died back there...

I always imagined that's how death feels
13178038, A little more info here
Posted by bwood, Wed Jul-26-17 06:27 PM
http://ew.com/tv/2017/07/26/true-detective-mahershala-ali-season-3/?utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_facebook_entertainmentweekly
13178043, Im laughing at how HBO dude had to clarify he read the scripts
Posted by BigReg, Wed Jul-26-17 06:44 PM
and that they are good.

Season 1 was genius
Season 2 not so much but still the actors gave their fucking all to try to save the material.

And the thing is its not as Season 2's writing was objectively bad, it was just too overstuffed an as previously mentioned...up its own ass.
13178054, I support anything that gives Mahershala Ali leading roles
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Wed Jul-26-17 07:41 PM
I think they will learn from their mistakes with Season 2 and tighten things up. Also, no more Vince Vaughns.
13178068, Remy Danton stay on the come up. Good for him
Posted by spenzalii, Wed Jul-26-17 09:50 PM
13178082, I applaud this
Posted by bnicedh, Thu Jul-27-17 07:52 AM
One of my favorite actors out right now...! Season 2 was just 1 story line to many to keep a good pace going. However, lets hope they learned from that.
13178086, wow from being a backpack lyrical miracle rapper to starring on an HBO series
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Jul-27-17 08:11 AM
he should put out a new song just for old times sake
13178097, Mahershala Ali
Posted by Numba_33, Thu Jul-27-17 08:41 AM
along with any and all big name actors and actresses that decide to sign on with this show are mighty brave souls because I'm certain the scrutiny will be quite thick for this season.
13178112, awesome
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Thu Jul-27-17 09:15 AM
>
13178154, season 2 sucked.. and season 1 wasn't that great either.
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jul-27-17 10:27 AM
I'm not a big fan of slow burners tho..

I'll try just cause ole boy is in it.

13178196, The season 1 payoff was TRASH
Posted by hardware, Thu Jul-27-17 11:37 AM
13178199, yeah, I was mad disappointed at the end
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jul-27-17 11:45 AM
13190873, Jeremy Sauliner and Nic are co-directing plus other details
Posted by bwood, Fri Sep-01-17 09:17 AM
I wish Jeremy Sauliner was the sole director. Especially after Green Room.

Also, this is set in the Ozarks, which mean I'm gonna be pissed when my guy Mahershala is called all types of disgusting things in this.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/true-detective-season-3-officially-a-go-at-hbo-1034518

'True Detective' Season 3 Officially a Go at HBO
Nic Pizzolatto will be the lone writer on the series, save for David Milch, who penned one installment. Jeremy Sauliner and Pizzolatto will direct.

Nic Pizzolatto will be the lone writer on the series, save for David Milch, who penned one installment. Jeremy Sauliner and Pizzolatto will direct.

It's official: HBO is moving forward with a third season of anthology True Detective.

Nic Pizzolatto will serve as the lone writer on the season save for David Milch, who co-wrote the fourth episode. (An episode count has not yet been revealed.)

Pizzolatto, who created the series, will serve as showrunner and direct alongside relative newcomer Jeremy Saulnier. Executive producers include Pizzolatto, Saulnier, Scott Stephens and season one stars Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey as well as original director Cary Joji Fukunaga. Steve Golin, Bard Dorros and Richard Brown will also be credited as exec producers.

Season three will tell the story of a macabre crime in the heart of the Ozarks and a mystery that deepens over decades and plays out in three separate time periods.

As previously announced, Oscar winner Mahershala Ali (Moonlight) will topline season three as Wayne Hays, a state police detective from Northwest Arkansas.

"I'm tremendously thrilled to be working with artists at the level of Mahershala and Jeremy. I hope the material can do justice to their talents, and we're all very excited to tell this story," Pizzolatto, who has an overall deal with HBO, said Thursday in a statement.

HBO would not officially confirm that they were moving forward with a third season of True Detective until they found a director who would work with Pizzolatto on the series, which broke out after its freshman run but failed to win over critics with its polarizing second star-studded season. (The Hollywood Reporter chief TV critic Tim Goodman called it "confusing.")

"Nic has written truly remarkable scripts. With his ambitious vision and Mahershala Ali and Jeremy Saulnier aboard, we are excited to embark on the next installment of True Detective," said HBO programming president Casey Bloys.

Rumors have swirled for months about the future of True Detective. News leaked in March that Deadwood creator Milch was teaming with Pizzolatto on season three.

A premiere date has not yet been determined. Bloys said in July that Pizzolatto had almost the entirety of True Detective season three written — "I've read five scripts on the new season and I think they're terrific," the exec told reporters at TCA.

The True Detective revival comes as HBO is heading into 2018 likely without its highest-rated show in Game of Thrones (which probably won't be back until 2019), though Westworld — which wrapped in late 2016 — is set to return next year. HBO's drama lineup also consists of David Simon's The Deuce and the forthcoming Sharp Objects adaptation.
13190898, I'm with it
Posted by dba_BAD, Fri Sep-01-17 10:45 AM
n/m
13190956, really hoping they salvage this
Posted by Flash80, Fri Sep-01-17 01:21 PM
i got to halfway through the second episode in season 2... and then pressed *cancel series* on the DVR.
13213892, Carmen Ejogo to Star Opposite Mahershala Ali in Season 3 (swipe)
Posted by j0510, Sun Nov-19-17 08:30 AM
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/true-detective-carmen-ejogo-star-opposite-mahershala-ali-season-3-1059733

'True Detective': Carmen Ejogo to Star Opposite Mahershala Ali in Season 3
NOVEMBER 17, 2017 6:30pm PT by Lesley Goldberg

She's the second person cast in the upcoming cycle of Nic Pizzolatto's anthology.

The third season of HBO anthology True Detective is beginning to take shape.

Carmen Ejogo (Selma) has been tapped to star opposite Mahershala Ali in the forthcoming cycle of the Nic Pizzolatto drama.

Season three will tell the story of a macabre crime in the heart of the Ozarks and a mystery that deepens over decades and plays out in three separate time periods. Ejogo will play the female lead, Amelia Reardon, an Arkansas schoolteacher with a connection to two missing children in 1980. Ali (Moonlight) stars as Wayne Hays, a state police detective from Northwest Arkansas.

Ejogo will next be seen in Dan Gilroy's Roman J. Israel, Esq., opposite Denzel Washington. She currently stars in the second season of Starz anthology The Girlfriend Experience. Her feature credits include It Comes at Night, Alien: Covenant and the upcoming Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindewald. She's best known for her role as Coretta Scott King in Ava DuVernay's Selma and Born to Be Blue. Ejogo is repped by WME, Anonymous Content and Conway Van Gelder in the U.K.

Pizzolatto, who created the series, will serve as showrunner and direct alongside relative newcomer Jeremy Saulnier. Executive producers include Pizzolatto, Saulnier, Scott Stephens and season one stars Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey as well as original director Cary Joji Fukunaga. Anonymous Content's Steve Golin, Bard Dorros and Richard Brown will also be credited as exec producers.
13282406, The dark skin man/light skin woman thing is going to set Black
Posted by Teknontheou, Mon Aug-27-18 07:51 AM
Woman Twitter off, if it hasn't already.
13282374, True Detective Season 3 (2019) Teaser Trailer
Posted by j0510, Sun Aug-26-18 09:35 PM
True Detective Season 3 (2019) Teaser Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpUznQds8p4
13282405, Cant wait!!!
Posted by KnowOne, Mon Aug-27-18 07:48 AM
nm
13304288, They're saying Season 3 is good.
Posted by bwood, Wed Jan-02-19 01:06 PM
Reviews dropped and it seems the show is back on track. I'm hyped b.

Really hope Nic doesn't fuck this up.
13304292, was it his fuck up if they say they rushed him?
Posted by seasoned vet, Wed Jan-02-19 01:18 PM
i get that he could of said no
13304294, Season 2 was SO bad
Posted by Stringer Bell, Wed Jan-02-19 01:19 PM
I watched the whole thing, because I expected a friend's musical piece they licensed to be used (sadistically it never was). Otherwise I'd have bailed very early on.

It was so bad, it's hard to imagine Pizzalotto isn't a hack who got lucky, like a pizza maker who won the lottery as Vince Vaughan's character might say (actually that's too good for him).

Guess we'll see.

13304336, Was Season 2 really bad, or just not Season 1?
Posted by spenzalii, Wed Jan-02-19 03:15 PM
My wife and I actually dug S2, even with it's confusing story and dropped plot points.
13304348, I found it to be like having blueballs in my heart.
Posted by Stringer Bell, Wed Jan-02-19 03:32 PM
13304498, truer words have never been spoken lol
Posted by wrecknoble, Thu Jan-03-19 02:34 PM
13306426, 2 episode premiere tonight
Posted by bwood, Sun Jan-13-19 08:00 AM
I hope it's solid man.

I can't have my whole weekend squandered on a film I was looking forward to that didn't fully deliver and this show on top of that.
13306520, I fell asleep.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Jan-14-19 10:21 AM
I'll try again. It's probably good. Just slow moving.

I am starting to think that that first season was a fluke or rather the strength of the combo of Harrelson and mcconaughey and Southern Gothic.

I think Nic Pizzolatto is a little too in love with his own writing and his role in the success of the first season.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13306524, The gravity of mahersala alone is worth the admission
Posted by Amritsar, Mon Jan-14-19 10:32 AM
Yes it’s a little slow early on. But you can tell they’re building towards something

In the meantime, I’ll sit back and watch Ali steak every damn scene he touches
13306525, Looks like it’s going to be a monster
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Jan-14-19 10:37 AM
Slow start but Ali is killing it.

13306555, Now that's more like it
Posted by bwood, Mon Jan-14-19 11:57 AM
Starts slow just like previous seasons did, but the mystery is compelling enough to hold my interest.

Plus Mahershala and Stephen Dorff showed up to work.
13306573, thought it was fantastic. i love the slow build.
Posted by PROMO, Mon Jan-14-19 01:10 PM
so much tension in every shot.

already hearing some great theories too.

they are all probably wrong but cool to consider.
13306583, This is the one thing I don’t like about this show
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Jan-14-19 02:16 PM
Every shot is filled with that tension building stare into the abyss of regret or sadness.

I just hope it doesn’t end up being a montage of Ali sad face shots
13306610, see i didn't get any tension from those kind of shots.
Posted by PROMO, Mon Jan-14-19 03:37 PM
the shots that hit me with tension are way different.

like the never ending staircase shot of the ranger tower, the shot of the dark road ahead when the dad is driving looking for the kids, when the dad looks around the hood and the empty road comes into
focus.

also, just the general tension of "satanic panic" of the early 80's that is obviously part of the narrative.

the director, saulnier, killed it which will be interesting since he and fukunaga had some bust up so he didn't stay on ALL season which was the plan. we'll see how it changes when we see the episodes other people(s) directed, which starts with episode 3.
13306696, great start... slow but solid.... i wonder if....
Posted by KnowOne, Tue Jan-15-19 09:38 AM
the Yellow King is back.... 0_0
13306698, RE: True Detective Season 3 Is Boring so far.
Posted by Crisco, Tue Jan-15-19 09:42 AM
Imma give it 2 more episodes to pick up though.
The acting is fine but there is nothing happening other than the last 5 minutes of episode 1.
13306751, It’s a slow burn
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Jan-15-19 11:48 AM
but I also think this show is all about the art of silence

Dude can drive down the street for 3 minutes with a blank stare and folks are like “that scene was so amazing, it really tied it all together. FOH.

13306731, Love it so far
Posted by sectachrome86, Tue Jan-15-19 10:55 AM
13306874, that's a hell of a make up job
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Jan-15-19 03:16 PM
that stuff can be distracting if they don't do it right, but he legit looks like he's in his 70s.

i'm completely engaged so far. love the time hops and the way they collide
13306892, i was point that out to the wife.
Posted by PROMO, Tue Jan-15-19 04:20 PM
i was like, do they got new upgrades in makeup (tbh they probably do) cuz he legit just looks older whereas usually when they do that it looks (at least a little bit) like a young(er) person wearing makeup to make them look old.

his "skin" looks real with all its wrinkles and other marks.
13306897, Bruh. I said the same thing to the wife.
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Jan-15-19 04:55 PM
How long was he in makeup?
13307001, the way he drops his voice and does that old guy breathing thing
Posted by Amritsar, Wed Jan-16-19 09:56 AM
Ali is a master

13311210, Its great, and a huge comeback from the mess of Season 2.
Posted by Teknontheou, Fri Feb-01-19 10:32 PM
I like that they scaled back the intricacy of the story. Season 2 was way too hard to follow. This is really simple - not too many characters or side stories or intrigue. Just a nice, direct case to be solved, plus simple family stuff.
13311222, Meh...i'm getting lost with 3 simultaneous timelines
Posted by bentagain, Sat Feb-02-19 05:53 AM
I spend alot of time trying to figure out what period of the characters life the scenes are in

Ali is killing it IMO

I think the issue is Dorf

He's not a strong enough actor to pull it off and looks old as shit no matter what wig or makeup he's wearing

Shrug
13311227, Maybe showing the scattered brain of someone with Alzheimer’s?
Posted by kingjerm78, Sat Feb-02-19 09:28 AM
13311326, Anybody that isn't down with Dorff in this show is flat wrong
Posted by Nodima, Sat Feb-02-19 07:28 PM
That shit he pulled in the 2015 timeline this weekend?

This is the first time in a while where I've felt like I'm just watching two real people on screen rather than actors playing roles. Ali and Dorff are putting on a clinic here.

~~~~~~~~~
13311328, RE: Anybody that isn't down with Dorff in this show is flat wrong
Posted by howardlloyd, Sat Feb-02-19 07:48 PM

>This is the first time in a while where I've felt like I'm
>just watching two real people on screen rather than actors
>playing roles. Ali and Dorff are putting on a clinic here.
>
>
>~~~~~~~~~
>"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
>http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
>Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
13311332, Go by the haircuts (and the clothes).
Posted by Teknontheou, Sat Feb-02-19 08:44 PM