Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI don't think so at all.Especially considering the racism "he" has faced
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13173487&mesg_id=13242876
13242876, I don't think so at all.Especially considering the racism "he" has faced
Posted by kfine, Wed Mar-14-18 11:01 PM
from within the industry because he's Latino.. which in and of itself is fucked up because as others have said, hip hop culture originated due to confluence of people from multiple cultural backgrounds including Latinos.

It's sad to watch members of the Black community relish in using the same exclusionary tactics that have been used against them.

I mean, the man was forced to change his name because industry heads couldn't wrap their head around a dude named Hernandez singing R&B (from his wiki):

"In a cover story for Entertainment Weekly, Mars stated that the song "Nothin' on You" was rejected by a "music industry decision-maker" (a person he won't name) because of his race. That experience made him feel like a "mutant", and he says that was his lowest point. "Even with that song in my back pocket to seal the deal, things like that are coming out of people's mouths. It made me feel like I wasn't even in the room." In April 2013, in a cover story for GQ magazine, Mars confessed that he changed his surname because people in the music industry took him as another Latino artist, and even tried to convince him to sing in Spanish saying: "Your last name's Hernandez, maybe you should do the Latin music, this Spanish music... Enrique is so hot right now”. Nevertheless, Mars used his childhood nickname Bruno and changed his surname to Mars, in an effort to "avoid being stereotyped"