Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThat's interesting. Not sure I agree but that's interesting.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13173487&mesg_id=13173687
13173687, That's interesting. Not sure I agree but that's interesting.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Fri Jul-14-17 02:32 PM
> White kid adding a country angle to hip-hop and saying that
>hip-hop has always been music for everybody? Nah, at that
>point he's changing some fundamental tenets of hip-hop in
>order to bring outsiders under the tent.

Interesting but I am having a problem with the notion that there are fundamental tenants of hip-hop. I think art is always changing and evolving. I think the best thing an artist can do is break the rules. I think the only rule is has to be dope, so if a white boy makes dope country rap and expands the definition of rap, I am with that. I think Eminem did that to a certain extent.

Here is what I think Cultural Appropriation is. Stealing peoples stuff and passing it off as your own. White Musicians going down to the Blues Delta listening to black bluesmen and then passing that music off as their own? That's Cultural Appropriation. Madonna learning Voguing from the gays and passing it off as her own? That's Cultural Appropriation. Miley Cyrus being credited for inventing twerking? That's Cultural Appropriation.

Now there is a thin line between an artist bringing a certain cultural practice to a larger audience while giving credit to the creators, I think that's okay. Maybe Madonna did that. I forget.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"