Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI strongly disagree.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13173140&mesg_id=13177145
13177145, I strongly disagree.
Posted by denny, Mon Jul-24-17 11:39 PM
The selective fact-fudging is coming from the other side...not me. The contention itself is based on selective parameters. White Americans don't define themselves relationally to black and latino Americans.

It would be similar to this contention I will use as an example: Native Americans are more than 3 times likely to get killed by police than black Americans. Therefor, black Americans are privileged? Sounds absurd right? I'd argue the exact same mistake is being made here.

White americans serve more prison time than almost any other population on earth. So just becuase they serve less prison time than a specifically defined out-group consisting of black/latino americans....does not constitute privilege. It would be like saying Gypsies had privilege in Nazi occupied territory because the Jews were their highest-prioritized target.

All Americans are punished and sent to prison to a greater extent than the rest of the world. Whites less so than black/latinos. But it hardly constitutes 'privilege'. And the assertion that white americans commit crimes with impunity is utter nonsense. Imo, the proper characterization would be something like 'Americans are punished for crimes disproportionately to the rest of the world, especially blacks and latinos'. NOT 'white americans commit crimes with impunity'.

I don't really get what you're saying with the rest of your post....but whoever's running the Chicagodykemarch are out of their fucking minds and should be ashamed of themselves.