Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectthe quotation marks are there because its a quote from your response
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13171485&mesg_id=13172844
13172844, the quotation marks are there because its a quote from your response
Posted by kayru99, Wed Jul-12-17 06:18 AM
"But perhaps the fact that these burdens so often fall on the Black Women and Children in a victimized Black man's life - as opposed to the other way around - is one reason why it's so easy for some of yall to dismiss what they go through??"

The idea that it is only, or even *primarily*, black women that have to "pick up the pieces" is empirically false, and more than a little theoretically absurd. The idea that black men are somehow not involved in the process of carrying on is...interesting.

Furthermore, how is it that black men/boys aren't burdened by the victimization of black women? How is that black males are somehow...exempt from the human experience of having to cope with the exploitation/abuse/oppression of women/girls? That's one hell of a leap that I don't believe any kind of data or study will support.

"This perspective being championed throughout this post that the sheer existence of Black Male Victimization invalidates the concept of Black Male Privilege. We then take this notion one step further if we dismiss the impact that victimization of a Black male has on those that love him."

NO. There is no dismissal of the impact of his suffering on his loved ones. *I* question the inability/difficulty in *foregrounding* the suffering of the black male body on its own terms. There seems to be some struggle in these discussions about black male vulnerability to sink our feet into the idea that BLACK MEN ARE VICTIMS BECAUSE THEY ARE BLACK MEN. Of course the women in his life will suffer. Of course his children will. BUT can we actively engage in his suffering and it's effects on HIM, and those like him?

"The more your identity is restricted to being simply a 'black body'.. the less you're viewed as someone's son, brother, father, romantic partner, boss, mentor, etc. So why even reinforce that reductive-ass crap?"

I think you're confusing the critique with what is being critiqued. Furthermore, the life of an unemployed, childless single orphan black man MATTERS. The difficulty in seeing a black male body as a human being is real, and I think you understand why as a human being in a black male body I/we should take issue with that. In other words, OF COURSE my figurative deaths affect the community. But OF COURSE I am aware of and hurt by my figurative deaths on their own terms.