Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRespect
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13171485&mesg_id=13172585
13172585, Respect
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Tue Jul-11-17 10:54 AM
>I'm not for name calling and really was lending my support to
>Ike for voicing the other side of the argument. I've read your
>response to me (and I'm continuing to read through the full
>post..doing so in between actual work smh) but it reads to me
>as you are pointing out the many inequities Black men
>experience in this country. I don't think that cancels out the
>opportunity for male privilege to exist between the Black man
>and woman is my point.
>
>I'll continue reading through the post and we can definitely
>discuss the voting aspect more. I'm not looking to win, but
>always looking to learn. I'm happy that MUSA made this post
>just so that we have this conversation.
>
>I'll reply again later when I have more time.

Cool, to your point about what I seem to be arguing, I go into some detail about that in reply 161. Buddy is making the point that it's a toss up between Black men and women who'll be privileged at any given time. While he and I disagree on some things, I think that's a much better position than the notion that Black men are simply privileged in comparison to Black women (I don't think you can outweigh being targeted for death and elimination from society, and I disagree vehemently with treating it like it's just another disadvantage). However, since that (toss up) is the case, I think that renders the entire discussion rather useless... especially considering the origin of privilege discourse was meant to address white supremacy, but this is just a quick summary. I won't rehash it all here.

*I'm going with the "toss up" notion for the sake of argument, as I'd argue that Black men are less advantaged than Black women according to nearly all empirical statistics, but I don't, because I don't like this idea of Black men and women playing oppression olympics and basically engaging in glorified in-fighting. I simply aim to challenge the notion that Black men are "more privileged" than any other group. Frankly, that's just not true.