Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectOf course it does.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13171485&mesg_id=13172350
13172350, Of course it does.
Posted by kfine, Mon Jul-10-17 04:23 PM

Black men face tremendous discrimination and persecution in society, absolutely. But, I can't get behind the idea that this absolves any and all privilege.

I mean, by that logic, are we also going to posit that White Female Privilege doesn't exist because of the inequities white women experience under white patriarchy??

And what if we consider Black folks whose father bounced when they were young who couldn't even tell you whether the man's dead or not or give the vaguest description of what he's up to. If a man abandons the people who love him before death/incarceration/substance abuse/illness/whatever, did he still exercise privilege? Hell yeah he did.

But I also don't see the end goal of pontificating all the different ways Black Men are restricted from exercising privilege. At the end of the day it is often others - mostly Black Women and Children, mind you - that are left to pick up the pieces regardless. I don't think meaningful discourse involves disparaging the experiences of any one group.