Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI think every group has a privilege at times.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13171485&mesg_id=13171604
13171604, I think every group has a privilege at times.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Jul-06-17 03:42 PM
While the value of each groups privilege can be disputed, I think being a black male offers certain advantages that either 1.) privelege them to all other people or 2.) privilege them to certain other groups (e.g., Black Women).

Some of the advantages seem trite but I think they are real. For example, I've had bosses that scream on everyone else in range but would never scream on me. I think part of that was fear of black men. Of course fear of black men is most times the opposite of privilege, in certain settings at certain times it can be worked to a black man's advantage.

I've also seen an advantage of being a black male work out with women. Yeah there are a lot of women women who have no interest in black men but there are also plenty of women who seek out black males.

These are a couple of prilveges and they might not be worth much as compared to say White Male Prilveleges but I'd be lying if I said they didn't exist.

Then there are privileges as compared to other groups like black women. This reminds me of the study that shows "Black Boys Have an Easier Time Fitting In at Suburban Schools Than Black Girls"

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2013/10/black-boys-have-an-easier-time-fitting-in-at-suburban-schools-than-black-girls/280657/

This report reminds me how it plays out with adults in professional settings. Some times it's a lot easier for a black male to excel in a professional setting versus a black woman (or even a white woman) because they can bond with their white male co-workers or bosses with guy stuff like sports or women. I had a boss who loved talking about women and on some level I could relate with him on it, my female colleagues could not.

Now it isn't a hard and fast rule because I have seen settings in which being a black female or (just female) has benefitted someone like my wife in a corporate setting in a way I couldn't benefit from. That is, I've seen a lot of older guys who prefer to work with and mentor younger (often attractive) women.

Again, not saying there is a hard and fast rule saying a black woman versus a black man has it easier in a corporate setting or vice versa. I am just saying that I can recognozie in certain situations, being a black male has had it's advantages for me, and I have witnessed it certain situations, being a black woman has had it's advantages for women like my wife.

I just find it hard for people to think there aren't any priveleges at all associated with being a black male. I think the starks examples would be looking how men in treated (as compared to women) in more traditional West Indian or African household.

My two cents.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"