Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectslow day at work, ock? i know GD aint poppin like it used to be but
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13164105&mesg_id=13237569
13237569, slow day at work, ock? i know GD aint poppin like it used to be but
Posted by Riot, Sun Feb-25-18 08:01 PM

creating strawmen and putting words in my mouth is a lazy way to find something to debate about. but for the record-

-i dont use hotep as a perjorative
-lol at white backing. no one went to see BP thinking of 'white backing'. ppl werent dressed up because disney was involved. and a nick fury / luke cage film wouldnt have the same impact either.
-show me where i said those academics are 'doing nothing'. my comment was that coogler put panafricanism and a huge black pride moment on display for the whole world. i went to egypt with tony browder and his niece. all those scholars and educators are doing important work. great. yet, what is obvious to all the rest of us, is that it is not even in the same lane as the cultural impact of 15 million black kids experiencing a (very general) concept of panafricanism, maybe for the 1st time, all at once in dozens of countries, on massive movie screens and dolby surround sound. the power of art, media, and storytelling is massive.

a $200M movie with true panafrican/afro-multicultural cast, all brown/dark skin actresses with natural hair, no white saviors, that is creating moments like this in other countries-

https://theintercept.com/2018/02/22/black-panther-brazil-protest/

and collective pride/excitement before anyone had even seen the actual film, and your counter is dr ben and marimba ani? wut.
its not even fair to them to make the comparison, except if someone is just looking for a reason to argue

>
>Reignite? 1) Panafricanism never died in the first place
>2) There are panafricanists on the ground in Africa from
>America now doing actual work, building, uniting people, etc,
>but giving revolutionary views to a Marvel *villain* is "more"
>than that? *facepalm*
>
>You made a post not too long about about Yvette Carnell &
>Boyce Watkins where people were using the term "hotep" defined
>partly by afrocentric views (which Yvette doesn't even have),
>and that was supposed to be an insult. NOW panafricanism is
>cool because it was in a marvel/disney film? See, when you
>make this kind of statement, you can never say that you don't
>place more value on white backing than what your people are
>doing. James Small, Anthony Browder, Marimba Ani, Yosef
>Ben-Jochannan, etc all doing nothing according to you huh?
>Enjoy the movie all day, but no need to disgrace the ancestors
>and living legends like that.
>
>
>There's also this:
>
>>-the black ppl mad on the internet are hilarious. wake up
>
>But you also had your own problems with the movie. Namely his
>request of Nakia and the unnecessary CIA agent. So.... wake
>up? I mean, stop criticizing this all-black cast and just let
>folks send any message they like to our children, fam.
>
here again, i havent said if it was a plot point, the casting, the funding, or any details at all, but you created one side of an argument to debate against. if u want to know what hilarious things i saw that ppl were mad abt, just ask.
and you cut off the "wake up" phrase from the rest of the comment so youre basically just firing at anything that moves at this point. hint: i didnt tell anyone to "wake up"

Black
>empowerment and violence aren't supposed to be separate in the
>minds of the masses. Good negro vs Bad negro. I'm saying
>this movie does not exist in a vacuum.
>
>
the outcome of the movie is for BP and wakanda to choose to start caring about the empowerment of black ppl. just without the destruction and reckless killing of all others around u. not hard to grasp.