Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjecti feel like this is tasking them with unpacking way more than reasonable
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13164105&mesg_id=13236074
13236074, i feel like this is tasking them with unpacking way more than reasonable
Posted by MiracleRic, Wed Feb-21-18 09:55 AM
>At the very root, the Black American with a tie to
>descendants of slaves is the enemy here, definitely, while the
>Africans are the good guys.

Huge oversimplification and the movie does a good job of showing how extreme both were...his dad LITERALLY KILLED his brother and refused to save him...They can't do the mental work for the audience...they can't...they didn't even offer a solution bc "Solution's hard"...the resolution was "let's be less extreme" lol

>That in itself is something our
>system keeps telling us over and over. I talked about this on
>the boards before tho. Black Americans have a justice claim
>and are more likely to fight for that "being difficult" to
>white folks. As descendants of slaves, we don't understand
>how much we're falling behind when we are the ones who
>experienced the injustice that Affirmative Action was an
>attempt to start correcting. Too many Africans accept those
>benefits while calling us names and kissing up to white folks
>while neither understanding our plight nor fighting for our
>cause.

That's not entirely their fault...they've got their own issues with white people to work out and while i don't appreciate that sentiment...it has little to no impact on day to day life any more than any other random micro-aggression. It's also a pretty big generalization I'd make with much more room for potentially being off-base

>Of course racists prefer THAT underclass over us.
>Add that to the fact that this idea that the Black male simply
>imitates his oppressor is taken from Michelle Wallace who had
>some really problematic views of Black men with no data to
>support them. So there, it looks like we're watching the
>cinematic depiction of that. And again, my biggest problem is
>that he doesn't realize that's what he's doing, and I think
>part of the reason it's so easy for so many of us to accept
>that is because we've heard it so much.

We don't know that he doesn't know that...in fact...he simply doesn't care...his plans aren't thought out...he's not a proxy for rational revolutionists...he's an extremist hellbent on vengeance...Wakanda is portrayed as passively extreme in their isolationism...Being the lesser of 2 evils is just that...

>And again, I reject
>that, because it's true sometimes, but as a person intelligent
>enough to do all he did, he would have known better and had a
>better plan.
>I could go on and on, but I think that should suffice.

Disagree again...his goal was emotionally charged...his trauma was never resolved...he never grew past that kid outside the projects looking at UFOs while his dad bled to death...his plan was kill these guys and spread their wealth and hope for the best...he made himself a good soldier and a shitty general...

also have to remember this is an origin story...they're literally setting BP up to be that moderate with perspective (i also wouldn't be surprised to see Killmonger again to make up for the former's king's mistakes as well). it presents the mistakes as mistakes...not as indicative of the goals they claim to have...that's a good thing...this is literally chapter one and you want it done in a way that would be the last chapter...nah they still have to come together well enough to get stomped by Thanos...this is a comic book and should inspire thought...not be looked at to present non-flawed dogma

you're looking for the guy who has the right ideas but we can't agree on the earth being round...let alone who has the right ideas...it can't present what it doesn't know so it presents the shit it knows is off that has basis in reality