Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThe *45th president was the host of a successful reality TV show
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13162955
13162955, The *45th president was the host of a successful reality TV show
Posted by MEAT, Tue Jun-06-17 09:40 AM
Not that this is news to anyone . But any leaks or news should be looked at under that lens.

If he's tweeting it's because he's looking for ratings. Twitter gives you that via engagement.
He's "angry" with Flynn this week, nah. Manufactured conflict narrative.
He's shaking up the staff and Bannon and Kushner are feuding, nah just more manufactured conflict for news stories.
His daughter really fought hard for x, y, z ... Nah. Image and brand massaging.
"See what I do this week at the rose garden at 3pm" ... is that not a promo?

Nothing he's doing or they're doing is all that different from what the Kardashians do. But the stakes are way higher.

But the amount of stories dedicated to internal turmoil miss so much of the point that it's exhausting to see people being gamed by this dude.

13162958, RE: The *45th president was the host of a successful reality TV show
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Jun-06-17 09:52 AM
>If he's tweeting it's because he's looking for ratings.
>Twitter gives you that via engagement.

I wonder how secure his device is and if there's any danger of his account getting hacked. I remember reading Obama had a super Blackberry when he first became president; is the same true for Trump?
13162965, He has geo location data with some of his tweets
Posted by MEAT, Tue Jun-06-17 10:10 AM
If the Twitter API can tell where he is, no amount of phone work around can help dumb.
13162966, its like what they say about seeing a bad accident...
Posted by Trinity444, Tue Jun-06-17 10:10 AM
I think we're all still in disbelief...hoping one of the story will be the one to take'em down. I'm getting exhausted tho...
13163015, Reports coming in that he may live tweet the Comey hearing
Posted by MEAT, Tue Jun-06-17 11:41 AM
https://twitter.com/costareports/status/872130524244062208

Engagements and analytics

Doesn't matter that things he'll tweet can be admissible in court. That's for the lawyers to figure out. Him. He just wants that sweet attention. Thank goodness he's ugly, or else we'd get an endless steam of selfies.
13163018, Also pretending to sign legislation. Photo ops and pens and everything
Posted by MEAT, Tue Jun-06-17 11:46 AM
https://twitter.com/igorvolsky/status/871893420708593667

At an East Room event that was choreographed like the elaborate ceremonies for enacting major legislation, Mr. Trump signed a memo and letter to Congress outlining his principles for overhauling the nation’s air traffic control system. He handed out pens to lawmakers who had been invited to attend, and reveled in several rounds of applause.

But Mr. Trump’s announcement did not have any binding effect, and Democrats quickly denounced the proposal.
13163019, He's a salesman. Perception is more important than reality
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Tue Jun-06-17 11:56 AM
Remember the stacks of blank papers and folders to show that he was separating himself from his businesses.

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/blogs/the_slatest/2017/01/11/170111_SLATEST_trumpPresserFolders.png.CROP.promo-xlarge2.png
13163024, I'd say hack before salesman but your point is still valid
Posted by MEAT, Tue Jun-06-17 12:03 PM
Only because he's so patently transparent, and anything he's ever sold has been complete crap.
I think of Mark Cuban as a salesman. This dude is Dollar Store As Seen on TV
13163058, he's the snake oil salesman in the old west, pulling up to your town
Posted by J_Stew, Tue Jun-06-17 01:19 PM
with his stagecoach of bullshit products, moving on before people figure out what he sold them is all lies. Only he isn't (voluntarily) moving on and a bunch of his customers believe the product is real. He is the most successful one of these guys of all time.
13163061, Was? This is the ultimate reality show for dude.
Posted by flipnile, Tue Jun-06-17 01:21 PM
13163120, Meh. I get your point but this isn't television.
Posted by MEAT, Tue Jun-06-17 02:22 PM
There are no producers, commercials, viewing times, ad buys, channel purchases, etc.

There's a difference between a performer and a performance. This is a performer without a performance.
13163226, Yeah, though dude obsesses about ratings nonetheless.
Posted by TheAlbionist, Wed Jun-07-17 05:08 AM
... I don't think he sees the difference.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/trump-won-fire-spicer-great-ratings-report-article-1.3094438

>There are no producers, commercials, viewing times, ad buys,
>channel purchases, etc.
>
>There's a difference between a performer and a performance.
>This is a performer without a performance.
13163136, The *45th president *IS* the host of a successful reality TV show
Posted by DavidHasselhoff, Tue Jun-06-17 02:59 PM
13163139, See post 10
Posted by MEAT, Tue Jun-06-17 03:08 PM
It's a weak metaphor. If an ad exec was using propaganda techniques on you would you say "this is the ultimate ad?"

It would fit as a description but it wouldn't take in the whole picture of what's happening.