Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectUncle DV here to school you a bit on the City Dynamic
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13109357&mesg_id=13109597
13109597, Uncle DV here to school you a bit on the City Dynamic
Posted by DVS, Wed Dec-28-16 09:10 AM
I'm really confused at how people don't understand the "why"

Like....all you hear is "OH, THE VIOLENCE!!"....

Here's a map.

Chicago's violence was pretty much contained by the housing projects in various parts of the cities. There was still "violence" mind you...but it was cordoned off into specific areas where lack of access to the things that have been mentioned (healthcare/equal wages/education) was the norm.

Problem is...those project buildings were in prime real estate territory when Chicago began to expand.

So they tear down the projects...residents scatter in every direction EXCEPT where the rent is prohibitive. That means West Side, Englewood, South Shore, Washington Park, the area between Chicago Proper and Evanston/Skokie (Terror Town), all the near South Suburbs (Dolton/Harvey/Calumet City)...

Chicago has strict neighborhood boundaries to schools. So if you live in a blighted community, your neighborhood school sucks. Period.

Let's take a very interesting example...Ray Elementary.

Now TECHNICALLY...Ray Elementary is a Magnet School, but it also has boundary lines wherein if you live within said boundaries, you are slated to attend. Ray is located spitting distance from University of Chicago...which was smack dab in the middle of one of the wildest neighborhoods in Chicago (to the South) and one of the most affluent on the South Side (to the North) until U of Chicago began buying back all the property and gentrifying the fuck out of the area.

Now Ray's boundaries should encompass a little bit of both of those communities...making it a community melting pot. But FUCK and THAT....Ray draws it's admission map specifically to cut out all of the economic blight. You live South of the Midway? Let them fuck with this plastic. In short...boundaries to protect access to opportunity.

Add in the property fiefdoms. A prominent city comedian, George Wilborn, recently made a huge fuss about buying a home in an area that borders Bronzeville to the west called Bridgeport.

Bridgeport is where the Daley power structure was based. They don't fuck with NOTHING that fails the college ruled paper test...FUCK a paper bag.

Found out he was a nigga? Put the kibosh on the whole shit. Quick.

Kids are still being mugged for walking thru that neighborhood...which is literally surrounded by Black (East) and Brown (West).

Shesus and I were looking for a place...found a developer that was renting property and his flunky leasing agent had us sign a lease for a place in the HEART of Bridgeport.

When I tell you that them crackers were on their porch scowling at us when we walked in...but I gave no fucks I smiled right back and waved like "GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER, BITCH!"

Property Owner calls me in a frenzy like "Dude...I can't do that to you. If I put you in that home, the safety of yourself and your family will be at risk...so I'm going to upgrade you to a property that is right next to my office on the main strip at the same price"

That's the way the city works, B. Either you on the inside or on the outside.

If your parents don't have the sense to teach you a bit and play the system to get you into a better school...you're fucked.

And trust me...this is the short version

D