Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectWell...I don't have any kids, BUT;
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13101567&mesg_id=13101829
13101829, Well...I don't have any kids, BUT;
Posted by Shogun, Mon Dec-05-16 09:02 AM
when other people's kids (or my young relatives) bring up Santa Claus, I'm pretty non-committal. I go with whatever they think. Meaning, I don't tell them there is or isn't a Santa, because that's not my place. If I had kids, I'd let them believe in Santa Claus (within reason), because that's the way I grew up.

BUT I will say this. Even as a kid, I kinda had the image of Santa Claus being Black for several reasons:

Most of the decorations in our house had no people in 'em (not sure if this was by design, or a coincidence)
I figured, I lived in the 'Hood, so naturally it HAD to be a brother to come to our house.
My Dad always played MoTown/Soul Xmas songs, so it seemed like Xmas was pretty much a Black thing anyway.

Now, obviously, I saw white Santas growing up, but in MY mind he was just a Santa Claus for the kids on the other side of town ( Kinda like how being a Mailman works. Ridiculous, I know. But fuck it. I was 5 years old...)

So yeah. If kid wants to believe in Santa Claus, personally I see no harm in it. I never bothered to play up (or down) the Race part of it.