Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI'm not convinced Santa is presented as a 'savior'
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13101567&mesg_id=13101715
13101715, I'm not convinced Santa is presented as a 'savior'
Posted by denny, Sun Dec-04-16 03:11 PM
>Bruh, look at American news. Cops shooting Black folk who are
>running away from them because they are "terrified." The
>reason is due to images they have seen on TV.
>

>The movie Hunger Games. When the little girl was Black in the
>first movie the internet lost their damn minds. They were fans
>of the fans of the character but disappointed when she was
>Black.
>
>Why is that?

>>You keep talking about the Black Santa at the mall. That shit
>is a big deal of frustration for some folks bruh.

See....of course those are issues that I would address with my 10 year old as he was getting exposed to them. I wouldn't be parenting if I didn't. If someone complained about the white santa in the mall and he overheard them he might ask 'why don't they like the black santa?'.....then of course, it's time to have a talk. Same thing with those other scenarios you talked about. Tough talks but they are necessary. But he's old enough for those talks to be constructive and even though they're tough....it's the job of the parent to find a way to prepare them for those realities. And there's a clear benefit. If you execute the talk successfully, a ten year old child will walk away with a little less innocence but also with some preparation to correctly identify racism and possibly some guidance in how to respond.

What I'm saying is that for kids under 5? I really don't think those talks are constructive yet. Is the 5 year old gonna walk away from the talk being more prepared to identify and respond to racism? I would say no. The fact is he simply doesn't ask about those things and I think he's just too young to kind of pick up on that stuff. And I really don't want to instigate those talks at that age before he even demonstrates that he can sense it in the first place. That's when I think you run the risk of tainting his innocence unnecessarily. So our guideline is to begin discussing those realities when he is old enough to sense them. I guess what I'm saying is that I think it's best to kind of shield your child from those realities when they're still that young. In the same way that I would kind of dodge him a bit if he asked 'What is nuclear war?'. How could I possibly answer that question honestly to a 5 year old that will positively impact his development? The only outcome is that it will scare the shit outta him. And I don't see the benefit of prematurely introducing those concepts and threats if he's not even sensing they exist yet.