Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjecti hear where you're coming from
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13085994&mesg_id=13086317
13086317, i hear where you're coming from
Posted by imcvspl, Tue Oct-25-16 06:44 PM
one month's severence after how long you been there is some bullshit. nut any financial adviser will tell you the only reason to take out your 401k is to put it into something better, and the cash on and in this case isn't something better even if it feels like the need. even with the pension you're not touching.

did you ever get my inbox?

i'm still not sure what your expertise is so i can't speak specifics. you know i'm cheering you on but i also want to be a reality check for you. the competition in everything tech is thick. positioning yourself in the mix is the most important step, but the relationships may come before that.

as someone who's done both sides of the employment thing one thing to remember is that ain't nothing long term these days. pick your clients well for their short term strategy and how it will build your brand. if it's not going to help our brand by the time the check cashes you could be shooting yourself in the foot.

plan to meet face to face. for all the high tech innanets and shit the face to face connects are the most important. and if you aren't the one to do that find that partner right awau.

I know you got patent level genius in you as well and not sure where those align. business structuring doesn't sound that close to innovation. both innovation and structuring at the billion dollar level sounds challenging for a consulant, unless your consulting for consultancies.

not trying to go against what you're thinking now, but one place you could really be an asset is with a VC firm. your background is perfect for i, not even knowing the details of what you've done. Consider it man, because there's stability in it in this shifting tech economy.

more than willing to be a sounding board.

>do that is if i can ramp quickly over these next two months
>to get to replacement level income, so that's the target.
>
>i have a pension, also, tho (not huge, but more than what's in
>teh 401k), and i have no plans on touching that. so worst case
>i'll have to cash out the 401k, and take the penalty hit if
>the business looks promising but will require a few more
>months of hustle before it's fully supporting me.
>
>i'm also going to structure myself, based upon what info i've
>gotten from friends who've gone the self employment route, as
>a company, so even if i take the occasional side job in my
>field, i'd pay myself salary and the parent company has the
>option of throwing money into a roth ira. the plan is that
>between rolling over my pension and the overage of what i'm
>able to do from the business, i'll be able to have a net
>improvement over any of the 401k i need to dip into in the
>interim + 10% penalty.
>
>again, best possible case is that i come out the gate strong
>while i'm still on company payroll and earn replacement
>income, or at least close enough that i don't have to cash out
>come january.
>

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."