Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectUPDATE on my job situation: So i know what i'm gonna do
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13085994&mesg_id=13085994
13085994, UPDATE on my job situation: So i know what i'm gonna do
Posted by poetx, Tue Oct-25-16 10:54 AM
thanks, y'all for the prayers and inspiration, and well wishes, and encouragement and alladat.

backstory: after 23 years w/ ibm, i finally got hit w/ the axe. it was most shitty, how they did it, but this been going on for the last 8-10 years, at least, so it was kinda inevitable.

they told me the end of aug, and that my last day is the end of nov. and that i only get one month's severance. (they made that change this year -- last year i'd have gotten over 6 mos severance based upon my length of service).

bulk of my experience is in a highly specialized niche, but i'm one of the best in the world at that. helping multibillion dollar businesses run their businesses. last couple of years i'd gone off into another direction, but still in demand, w/ multiple customer engagements plus working on new shit / revenue opportunities up until i got the notice.

there was a company hired to help us 'transition' -- got the resume tight, did the linkedin, indeed, dice (good looking out), etc.. heart ain't in it. i'ma do for self.

so i'm going to start a consultancy, specializing in small, very small and medium sized business. i'm putting together an array of services i can provide. learning some new ish, and getting ready to try and make it do what it do.

i get paid through the end of nov, then severance will cover december. so i got basically 2.5 months to make shit happen and see whether i can replace my income. if not, i'ma cash out the 401k (not a lot in there), come january, and, worst case, can float a couple more months on this grind, or getting back to finding a traditional job, or a hybrid.

so, i'm stepping out on faith.

this is wild premature announcing it here, but i feel like it's just part of committing myself to it and making it official. all my friends and ex-coworkers, colleagues, etc., i've told to chill on trying to hook me up w/ any positions or anything. i wanna see if this pop, first.

i realize that if i took another position, i'd have a dumb learning curve, and be, unofficially, spending 80+ hrs a week before i felt i was up to speed. and that would preclude making this other thing happen, which has a substantially greater upside for me, my fam, and my community.

*deep breath*.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad