Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectVince Staples responds (link)...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13077546&mesg_id=13078210
13078210, Vince Staples responds (link)...
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Thu Oct-06-16 01:01 PM
and it's the best response he possibly could have given:

http://massappeal.com/vince-staples-responds-to-viral-moms-criticism-of-norf-norf-she-has-a-right-to-her-opinion/

VINCE STAPLES RESPONDS TO MOM’S VIRAL CRITICISM OF “NORF NORF”:

“SHE HAS A RIGHT TO HER OPINION”
"THIS MISUNDERSTANDING OF OUR COMMUNITY LEADS TO MISCOMMUNICATION WHICH WE SHOULD CONVERT INTO A PROGRESSIVE DIALOGUE"

PUBLISHED ON OCTOBER 6, 2016 BY KHARI NIXON

On Tuesday, a video of a white mother, stricken with grief over hearing Vince Staples’ “Norf Norf” blaring from her daughter’s favorite radio station, went viral. In said video, as another one of her children played on the floor behind her, this mother broke down emotionally over the lyrics of the song, which she found to be heinous, and went on to read the lyrics without omitting the “n-word” wherever it appeared.

“I’ve gotta collect myself because this is what our youth is being subjected to,” said the woman, who cried on more than one occasion during her now infamous rant. A day later, Staples spoke with The Independent on the topic, and had this to say as a reaction.

“I don’t really have much to say about the video — I don’t think it’s funny at all. It’s not right to attack someone over their stance, their opinions, and their religion. I think that’s very immature.”

However, this morning on Twitter, Staples sarcastically thanked his Independent interviewer, Justin Carissimo, for the “misquote.” He clarified his stance on the issue in a subsequent series of tweets, visible below.

Follow
Vince Staples ✔ @vincestaples
What I was saying was that the woman in that video is clearly confused on the context of the song which causes her to be frightened.
4:28 AM - 6 Oct 2016
899 899 Retweets 2,439 2,439 likes

Follow
She also, in my opinion, seems to be emotionally unstable. With both those things being said, she has a right to her opinion.
4:28 AM - 6 Oct 2016
701 701 Retweets 2,066 2,066 likes

Follow
No person needs to be attacked for their opinion on what they see to be appropriate for their children. They have a right to it.
4:29 AM - 6 Oct 2016
1,146 1,146 Retweets 3,311 3,311 likes

Follow
This misunderstanding of our community leads to miscommunication which we should convert into a progressive dialogue.
4:30 AM - 6 Oct 2016
1,341 1,341 Retweets 3,090 3,090 likes

Follow
Thats all I have to say about that. Stop asking me.
4:30 AM - 6 Oct 2016
440 440 Retweets 1,738 1,738 likes

Staples has been open about his vivid storytelling, and the violent images it evokes throughout his career. In a June cover story with The Fader, he described the treacherous lifestyle he was subjected to as a child–just by being born on the “wrong” block–and the psychological effect it had on him as a teen, and then an artist.

From The Fader:

The situation like, ‘The city trying to take the house again. The police is here. So-and-so went to jail. We ain’t got no food. The water’s off. The house is getting shot up,’” Staples says. “Once that was out of my head, it was like, ‘Now what are we going to do with this rapping?