Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectDo you trust anyone at your job?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13076947
13076947, Do you trust anyone at your job?
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Oct-04-16 10:54 AM
if so, dont

they arent your friends... they are your coworkers and they will throw you under the bus to save themselves.

this post aint really me but i have one particular coworker who is all motherly and acts like she cares.

she is quick to snitch on anything moving when she gets pressed by the boss.

13076949, yup i trust that they will do this
Posted by Cenario, Tue Oct-04-16 10:57 AM
>they are your coworkers and they will throw you under the bus to save themselves.
13076956, someone did bite the bullet for me once
Posted by Cenario, Tue Oct-04-16 11:02 AM
I was like 19-20 working in a law firm. I met the receptionist and come to find out alot of my older brother peoples were her husband's people. We became cool.

I was a floater that would use whoever's work station was available and they gave me an administrators password. Once I got my own station I still had the admin's password, and would use it from time to time. I had access to everyone's Outlook. One day I had to use the recep cpu and i was logged in under admin and snooping around, forgot i was in someone else's out look and sent an email.

Couple of days later recep got fired. I found out from a friend years later that they accused her of the email thing. She knew it was me but didn't say anything. They fired her. I felt bad but she was on her way to getting fired anyway and everything didn't make sense perfectly(it was years later so i didn't remember the details) but she mighta just been saving face...idon'tknow.
13076967, Loyalty > Trust my boss gets both but just him really
Posted by Atillah Moor, Tue Oct-04-16 11:14 AM
And the trust was built on the quality of my work proving to him that he could trust me to get the job done regardless. He got the loyalty off the break though.

That and a few bottle of nice vodka.
13076971, Lol hell nah.
Posted by Hitokiri, Tue Oct-04-16 11:17 AM
I have one friend at work. We work in the same department, but we work in different buildings. I tell her all the time and live with the fact that I have plenty of friends and these people are my co-workers, not friends. And I refuse to try to make friends of them.

She's been burnt by someone here who she was friends with (tried to get her fired), and now they're friends again.

But these people are forever trying to go to happy hour, having Halloween parties and all that -- I'm good. You won't catch me at any of that shit.
13076990, Yeah that shit is a catch 22
Posted by Anonymous, Tue Oct-04-16 11:44 AM
I'm cool with everyone at work but not really friends with anyone.

I trust more than others but I know the deal at the end of the day.

As far as the happy hour and office parties...those things are good for team building and can help make a department or office work together better and creates a positive work environment and high morale.

The issue is that when shit hits the fan, no one wants to be honest with the situation and take ownership of what occurred. This is obviously for fear of getting written up or fired but that goes back to the boss and their method of judging staff intentions while
Holding people accountable. Everyone fucks up but when you have an environment where it's not ok to fuck up at all then people throw others under the bus because they are nervous for their own job.

People just don't know how to communicate and people aren't raised with the same values. I would find it easy to work with my best friends because we can hold each other accountable with no hard feelings and we know each other's motives. If someone were to fuck up then we would address it and deal with it instead of crucifying the person.

That just doesn't happen in the work world because people don't know each other as well and the trust isn't there.
13076983, some of these mofos would make up some shit to say about me
Posted by BigJazz, Tue Oct-04-16 11:37 AM
if they thought it would further their interest.

but

now, and in the past, i've worked with some stand-up people that had integrity. they wouldnt lie on me even if asked and promised something in return...

I ain't lyin. This shit i'm making up is true...
13076991, 2 people
Posted by JellyBean, Tue Oct-04-16 11:46 AM
only because I knew them BEFORE I worked here.

but every single one of these hoes can suckle a diseased dick and swallow! I fucking hate this job and the bitches that work here. However, I do enjoy my work :-)
13077001, dayum
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Oct-04-16 11:55 AM
13077002, I have a few that I trust.
Posted by tariqhu, Tue Oct-04-16 11:56 AM
but I don't trust them enough to think they'll cover/lie for me if I fucked up.
13077007, nah
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Tue Oct-04-16 12:05 PM
>
13077020, I don't trust any of these people...
Posted by Trinity444, Tue Oct-04-16 12:32 PM
only the self proclaimed thot.
cuz she's pretty genuine

13077023, RE: I don't trust any of these people...
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Oct-04-16 12:35 PM
>only the self proclaimed thot.
>cuz she's pretty genuine

How loud are these workplace proclamations?
13077033, loud...
Posted by Trinity444, Tue Oct-04-16 12:49 PM
I went out with her and had the time of my life lol

she said when she visits up north the men loved her "yellow, country ass"
telling me this while dancing lol

13077039, she sounds like
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Oct-04-16 12:56 PM
she's quite the source of entertainment.
13077026, whoa. these responses are so strange to me.
Posted by MzOnyxVI, Tue Oct-04-16 12:37 PM
I just started a new job two weeks ago so I can't speak on this particular position yet

but I've worked at 3 other places and I've trusted practically everyone I've worked with, with the exception of 2 people.

I'm still friends with everyone from my previous jobs -- as in, we hang out, invited to weddings/baby showers, etc.

I can't imagine spending so much time with coworkers and being unable to trust them.

13077065, This is me.
Posted by Hamsterline, Tue Oct-04-16 01:27 PM
Yes, there are shady folks. But that's EVERYWHERE. I trust folks I work with. Friends from way back and family can be shady and untrustworthy too.
13077079, nah... i get it. but you dont have to kick it with friends and fam 40hrs a week
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Oct-04-16 01:37 PM
but just cause we work together doesnt mean i will or should trust you
13077070, these folks don't even speak to their co-workers lol
Posted by ambient1, Tue Oct-04-16 01:30 PM
13077241, right? i swear. how did we end up here?!
Posted by MzOnyxVI, Tue Oct-04-16 04:16 PM
13077029, learned the hard way
Posted by infin8, Tue Oct-04-16 12:39 PM
13077030, THESE white folk?
Posted by Amritsar, Tue Oct-04-16 12:42 PM
hell no
13077036, every other week, i'll have coworkers askin me if im on facebook...
Posted by thegodcam, Tue Oct-04-16 12:54 PM
and every other week, i'll look in their cold blue eyes and without hesitation, i tell them: "nope"

then go right back to looking at my timeline on my phone
13077037, cold blue eyes
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Oct-04-16 12:55 PM
13077057, that was pretty good lol
Posted by Amritsar, Tue Oct-04-16 01:21 PM
13077051, For what?
Posted by Kira, Tue Oct-04-16 01:10 PM
If I saw them dying of hypothermia or dehydration I wouldn't spit or piss on them to keep them alive for a millisecond longer.

We all there to get that check direct deposited into the checking account on the 1st and 15th. I am not contractually obligated to trust anyone for any reason under any circumstances.
13077060, the cold hard truth
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Tue Oct-04-16 01:22 PM
>
13077058, Two. Neither are in my department.
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Oct-04-16 01:21 PM
One is my former boss' boss. She's been with the company for 30 years and is good to have on your side.

But the people in my department? Nah, B.
13077061, Nope! I barely give any personal details to the people I work with now
Posted by walihorse, Tue Oct-04-16 01:23 PM
I really don't trust them 3 at all.
13077063, No full trust, but there are some I trust way more than others
Posted by flipnile, Tue Oct-04-16 01:24 PM
A few of the dudes in here carry themselves aiight. That's as close as it gets.
13077074, a woman back home used to kick it with a coworker
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Oct-04-16 01:35 PM
they smoked, drank, chilled together.

the coworker didnt come into work one day and when the woman texted to see if she was ok she responded she was fine, just had a long night and didnt feel like coming in.

ole girl showed the text to her boss and they fired her coworker.

the woman claims she doesnt understand why the husband was at the bar looking like he wanted to kill ole girl for getting his wife fired.

trust no one.
13077100, damn
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Tue Oct-04-16 01:54 PM
wtf did she show the text to the boss tho!? *smh*
13077194, right. that's not the norm.
Posted by tariqhu, Tue Oct-04-16 03:21 PM
sounds like some beef happened before that text was shown.
13077249, Nah, she is one of those people who ALWAYS stir shit up
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Oct-04-16 04:43 PM
She is fine as shit tho...

One time she was in the bar and smeone came in with a kid to pick up some food to go. The kid had a black eye.

She called the cops and wanted to report the person for child abuse. She had no idea how the kid got the bruise, just a nosey, miserable person..

Fine as shit tho...
13077258, i've said this shit before on here and people dog piled the shit out of me
Posted by J_Stew, Tue Oct-04-16 04:53 PM
I'm not saying you can't make friends with someone you work with, but it's not the case 99 percent of the time, especially if there is any way you fucking up could advance them, or even any knowledge you leak to them could hurt you or advance them.

I'm 44 and have run a mid-sized company, worked in all sorts of corporate settings, and the only people I've ever stayed friends with after working with them were people I worked with in the bar business(generally no reason to hate on someone in that line of work if they are good, because hiring someone bad to replace them ends up making YOUR life a living hell).

13077259, A handful and to a degree.
Posted by MEAT, Tue Oct-04-16 04:53 PM
This organization is over 600,000 employees though. I've met hundreds and worked with dozens. You don't move up or around here without developing some bonds.