Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectHere's why I respectfully disagree with you:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13060796&mesg_id=13061296
13061296, Here's why I respectfully disagree with you:
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu Aug-25-16 08:55 AM
>RE: Disney's princess shit negatively affects the self-image
>of most girls--As a former little girl of color, now raising a
>little girl of color...this is the most asinine thing I've
>ever read.
>
>
>Parents do that. Parents shape their children's self-image.
>Plopping your kid in front of the tv and never distinguishing
>the difference between real and imaginary, constantly telling
>them they are fat or ugly or whatever else shapes their
>self-image

My daughter has ONLY ever seen ONE disney movie as of now. She'll turn 4 in October. That movie was Frozen, and she only saw PART of it because she didn't have the interest or attention span to watch the entire thing. That was about a year ago when she'd JUST turned 3. The ONLY reason she was even aware that the movie, characters, etc. existed was from her peers and teachers. She came home singing that damn song one day and I asked what she was singing. She said "Let it Go", "It's from Frozen". I asked her what frozen was and she began telling me about the characters and song. This was BEFORE she'd even seen or heard of the movie! I type all that to say; kids are exposed to the Disney shit from JUMP. It's everywhere. So yeah, exposure is the 1st step. And exposure is almost everywhere these days. The only shows on TV we allowed her to watch are pretty much Doc McStuffins, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, and Olivia. She's since graduated to being obsessed with Paw Patrol. We DVR everything, so she doesn't see commercials.

>I never wanted to be a mermaid, Cinderella, belle, mulan,
>Aurora (sleeping beauty), etc. however I did want to sing
>like them...it was always an aspiration to become a Disney
>Singer...

I don't think you can limit the negative impact or guage it by whether or not a kid imagines themselves or wants to be one of those princesses or whatever. It's deeper than that. It's the constant exposure to the imagery and subliminal messages that they send by the sheer abundance of them. Princess..by default... = WHITE WHITE WHITE. So from jump, you tell your ethnic child "You're My princess" or some shit like that and eventually they are gonna pose the questions "But I don't LOOK like a princess".... and then THAT'S where the tricky drama comes in...and the uphill battle begins. It's the little things...that add up to a LOT. The hair, the skin color, the environment, the seeing their white friends dress up for halloween as these characters and look just like the picture on the box vs. when they buy the same costume and DON'T look like the picture on the box, etc. etc. etc.... kids know...they pick up on this stuff and it's VERY difficult and even futile to shield them from exposure to it....because they're KIDS and if they have peers, they WILL be exposed.

>I swear most of you judging parents aren't even parents and
>have no idea the concessions you have to make to keep your
>sanity!

"Get ready....for your blessing....."