Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subject*sigh* Do you REALLY want to know what I think?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13060307&mesg_id=13061674
13061674, *sigh* Do you REALLY want to know what I think?
Posted by caramelapplebttms, Thu Aug-25-16 04:39 PM
Like, really really want to know?

I believe that there are a lot of young men like Parker and Celestin were out there, who look at rape as something that only happens when you use force or threats. I also believe that they think there are women that are for "dating", as Parker said in a reported conversation with an officer, while others are down for whatever, including sex with your friends. The problem with this, is that this thinking leads to the belief that there are women who can't be raped.

As I mentioned above, I believe that Parker believed he had consent. I believe that he looks back on the situation and realizes that having sex with someone who was drunk and inviting his friend to have sex with her as well put everyone involved in a precarious situation.

It's textbook rape culture. If Parker had to have his freedom in jeopardy to learn about consent, so be it, but I would love for this to be a lesson for all men.

Just treat all women like human beings, and go from there.