Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThere's no conspiracy, this is just horrible timing culturally
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13060307&mesg_id=13061177
13061177, There's no conspiracy, this is just horrible timing culturally
Posted by TomWaitsInOkkervil, Wed Aug-24-16 08:21 PM
Issues of consent and rape and how our ideas about them are shifting (or should shift) have already been big topics of discussion, campus rape in particular, and his case hits all of the bad notes.

- Incapacitation from drinking
- harassment after the fact
- college being sued for not acting in the victims interest
- him getting acquitted based on the antiquated, bullshit notion that because she'd previously given consent for sexual activity that consent could be assumed continuously

That all makes the story ripe to piss off a lot of people already pissed off about how rape allegations are treated in our society. He did himself no favors with his poorly formulated non-apology, but he probably couldn't have said anything to really fix this.

And unlike Woody Allen or Roman Polanski, he does not have strong, long established connections in the industry to shield him, and again, this is coming to the public's attention at a very different time culturally. Basically, he was fucked from the start. Sucks for him, but I don't feel sorry for him because it honestly seems like he probably did rape her, and while I think this is an important movie and I'll probably still see it, he doesn't deserve uncritical support personally from the black community just because he made it. Fuck him