Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI'm not saying she is an addict.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13056493&mesg_id=13057015
13057015, I'm not saying she is an addict.
Posted by denny, Sat Aug-13-16 09:10 PM
But ask ANY addiction councillor and none of that would hold water in claiming that there is absolutely no danger of her being or becoming an addict.

1. You can't verify that she is in pain.

2. Addicts lie about being in pain....both to themselves and other people.

3. Opiate withdrawal IS painful. And if you have an injury...the pain you feel from that injury is increased during opiate withdrawal. So even when someone is not consciously lying about their pain....they may not know that the pain is a result of the combination of the injury AND the withdrawal. Opiate withdrawal makes unrelated pain more acute.

4. If your mother has been using opiates on and off for 33 years than she is addicted to them. She will experience withdrawals when coming off them and that is a medical fact. Some people (usually ones that are well-adjusted and happy) are able to cope with withdrawals without much difficulty.

5. Highly functional addicts are also at risk. I agree with what I think you're suggesting....that drug USE is not really the problem. The problem is what results from the use regarding behavior, lifestyle and well-being. I was a functioning addict so I understand that viewpoint. But there is ALWAYS a degree of risk...albeit minimized by someone's ability to maintain responsibilities and well-being. The majority of addicts can be described as 'functioning'. That doesn't mean there's no risk.