Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThe fact is....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13056493&mesg_id=13056937
13056937, The fact is....
Posted by denny, Sat Aug-13-16 03:26 AM
It is easier to get opiates in the US than any other country in the world a few times over. And that's AFTER the recent crackdowns.

Also....addiction is not related to pain. You could take the pills for fun and not get addicted. You could take the pills because you had surgery and get addicted. There has been some studies that suggest some people may be genetically pre-disposed for addiction. But we really don't know why some get addicted and not others. There's no evidence that shows the amount of pain you are in decreases the likelihood of addiction.

There's been alot of newer studies that show opiate treatment actually INCREASES the amount of pain you are in. The scientific explanation is readily available via google....but the basic premise is that someone who has a back pain to a level of 5....then might use opiates to decrease that level to 2. But when they come off the opiates the pain level will be 7. So the base level of pain experienced without treatment actually INCREASES temporarily after prolonged opiate use.

"She's almost 70. Retired military. Major back surgeries. Medically discharged from the service and has a handicap placard on the car. In no way could she be considered an addict."

I'm certainly not referring to your mom specifically. But the last line of this quote is a huge red flag. You're falling into the trap of only seeing addiction where it fits the stereotype of what we think addicts are like. But that's the exact problem with this epidemic. People think there's no problem cause someone doesn't look like a street heroin user with no career credentials and bags under their eyes.

I completely agree with this though:

"I'd error on the side of letting someone without pain get high - not by having someone in pain stay suffering."

Amen to that.