Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectQuestion. And I mean this with the utmost respect for your family's
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13056493&mesg_id=13056885
13056885, Question. And I mean this with the utmost respect for your family's
Posted by kfine, Fri Aug-12-16 07:16 PM
situation and what your mother is going through: But would you not prefer that your mother remain alive?

Because, from the government's perspective, it's my understanding that the most troubling outcome of this opioid issue is the staggering number of deaths resulting from "accidental" overdoses.

Clinician practices have been linked to the skyrocketing rise in accidental overdoses.. such as overprescribing, either by quantity or by dosage. Which makes sense... because pain is not a new phenomenon, and pain medication is not a new phenomenon.. but somehow, the rate of patients dying from accidental opioid overdose tripled in a decade. I'm not denying the involvememt of addiction, and pain as an experience is still an area of research with huge gaps that remain to be understood. But there are definitely systemic forces contributing to the problem, which I believe is what the government is trying to address with the type of intervention described in the article..

So just wondering if it is possible to consider the heightened regulation as a way of actually protecting your mother, too?

I understand how sensitive this topic must be for you, and I hope I haven't offended you by asking, for real