Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectSo when I say I am not 100% certain, I am wrong, but when Scientist
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13047795&mesg_id=13048170
13048170, So when I say I am not 100% certain, I am wrong, but when Scientist
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Jul-25-16 08:04 AM
say there is no 100% certainity, they are correct?

GTFOHWTBS.

You should be embarrassed by the verbal contortions you went through to make my statement look more controversial and wrong then it actually is.

The fact is you read waaay more into my statement than the words on the screen and assume that I am some anti-science climate change denier which I am not.

I believe climate change is real and that it is very probably affected by human activities.

But I would not say that I am 100% certain that it is man made simply because of what any person with a scientific background would tell you, there are limits to what you can know with absolute certainity through science. There is absolutely nothing controversial or wrong with at statement.

I don't need you to science-splain the scientific method or core principals of sceintific rationale...I am not an idiot. I went to good schools and that's all part of a basic education.

So there is no need to translate scientist speak to non-scientist speak. It's insulting. and it makes you look like you don't know what you are talking about when you say silly things like, well no there is no absolute certainity but um yeah colloqually it is 100% fact. That's just dumb.

Stop. Please. We are all grown ups with formal education. No one is a climate change denier so we can admit that we are not 100% certain that current climate change is all the result of man made activity.

>is not the same as saying that global warming is happening
>and that scientists are >90% certain that it is caused by
>humans
>
>to translate this from 'scientist speak' to 'non-scientist
>speak'- there is absolutely no question about this- if it
>makes you feel better, colloqually, then yes. 100% fact.
>
>but scientists don't speak in absolutes - which is why its
>usually very difficult to translate this to someone who
>doesn't understand the core principles of scientific
>rationale.
>you always allow for the possibility of a) being wrong or b) a
>better explanation coming along
>so....there is a less than 5% chance that global warming is
>caused by something else *other* than human activity
>shit, maybe the sun has moved closer!

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"