Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectGD Comic Book Post
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13026890
13026890, GD Comic Book Post
Posted by Marbles, Thu May-26-16 10:34 AM
I haven't even read everything from this week but I had to to peep DC Rebirth. And that book was fantastic. Yeah, DC has been in a hole since the New 52 started. But the return of the original DCU is enough to get my full attention.

And they don't disappoint. DC's big events are usually much better than Marvel's, IMO. And this looks like it'll follow that trend.

* I'm cool with Cyborg being in the JLA. But I hate the way the New 52 cut him off from his history with the Titans. As a long time fan of the New Teen Titans, I hope that they restore that relationship.

* Man, that moment with Barry & Wally was dope.

* The Legion flight ring had me officially nerded out. I know I'm the only person on the planet who likes this title but that's OK. Their return is a big deal for me.

* The big reveal at the end came out of nowhere for me (I've avoided spoilers for the past few days). I'm not sure how they're gonna make this happen but I'm kinda hyped to see how they do it.

I think DC is back, y'all.

Also, JLA #50 (the only New 52 title worth reading) dropped. The Darkseid War was heavy. Everything felt like it was on an epic scale and some real consequences came about.
13027153, Shit's been looking bad for the mutants for so long.
Posted by JFrost1117, Fri May-27-16 12:55 AM
The X-books are kinda depressing. The Marvel app has a few Apocalypse-centric titles on sale, so I got the "road to the Age of Apocalypse", cuz my mom couldn't afford to keep me updated on all those separate books as a kid.
13027265, the enthusiasm for Rebirth has me curious, I'll confess
Posted by lonesome_d, Fri May-27-16 10:11 AM
but I'm buying plenty of books already that I'm enjoying quite well.

Loved the recent Mae #1 from Gene Ha & thought the Willingham introduction was also very good for putting the story into context.

Archangel #1 had me excited, I mean William Gibson, but the $4.99 price point had me confused... I thought I was getting an extra long story but it sure didn't seem like it, and the 'this is how we do it' bonus pages don't do much for me. Story seemed pretty good, but hard to tell since not much more happened than a very basic scene setting.

Kids are loving the Baker Street Peculiars. Roger Langridge is a treasure. The language is sort of hard for them as they're using a variety of styles of British English slang.

Scooby Doo Team Up last issue met the Marvel Family, killed me. Not only where Shaggy & Velma able to transform using their magic words (zoinks & kinkies, respectively) but the Monster Society of Evil included the nefarious Mister Banjo. Kids love that series, even the 11 year old who might just be starting to get a little old for some things.

I think I dropped Low and a few other books that have started to feel like a slog. I think I'd like it if Remender just tried to do an 8 issue book an that was it.

13027290, Yo, this sounds fun as hell...
Posted by Marbles, Fri May-27-16 10:33 AM

>Scooby Doo Team Up last issue met the Marvel Family, killed
>me. Not only where Shaggy & Velma able to transform using
>their magic words (zoinks & kinkies, respectively) but the
>Monster Society of Evil included the nefarious Mister Banjo.
>Kids love that series, even the 11 year old who might just be
>starting to get a little old for some things.

This has got to be a laugh riot. I'm gonna try to remember to check it out.
13027374, It's Sholly Fisch, the guy who wrote the old DC Superfriends boooks
Posted by lonesome_d, Fri May-27-16 01:09 PM
which were also excellent, along with I believe the whole B:TBATB run after it swtiched over to its 'all new' numbering.

Basically, he excels at writing the DCU in a way that effectively explores the rich array of characters and also is suitable for little kids, usually without being too schmaltzy (within the editorial confines I'm sure he has to work within.)
13027396, I like how DC is pretending this is to get new readers
Posted by hardware, Fri May-27-16 01:48 PM
13027511, it worked on me
Posted by philpot, Fri May-27-16 11:52 PM
So even if they're pretending it's true for some folks

13027426, Leigion not being that cool is what makes it cool
Posted by Atillah Moor, Fri May-27-16 02:38 PM
13027467, Marvel's "Vision" series the best series going right now (c) Ta-Nehisi
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Fri May-27-16 05:35 PM
Read all 7 issues in a day before I even
knew he said that, but I definitely agree.

New Black Panther series is just 2 issues
in. 1st episode was trying very hard and
doing a LOT, but the 2nd issue brings it
into focus and looks like it might be dope.

The Invincible Iron Man series is good as hell
and very well written as it pertains to Tony's
sense of humor. It's extremely true to his
personality and actually witty and funny...
plus the story is good.

The Doctor Strange series is great. I'm rarely
disappointed in anything Dr Strange, and this
is no exception.

I read an issue of Daredevil & Ant Man as well.
Only new DC joint I've checked out is The Flash.
(you can probably tell I'm slightly more interested
in Marvel, lol)
13027489, Vision is written like an indie
Posted by hardware, Fri May-27-16 07:49 PM
Part of the reason it's so good, IMO
13027512, the writer is the new Batman writer too
Posted by philpot, Fri May-27-16 11:55 PM
A "rising star" they keep saying

I'll check Sherrif of Babylon in trade form
13027516, Word, plus Vision is just a great concept all around.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sat May-28-16 12:26 AM
They're doing a great job reaching its potential.
It really hits the mark with the "android trying
to fit in" idea.